I don't understand weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fab Foodie said:
David Attenboro' stated las week that 'generally' in Mammals about 80% of calories consumed are used to keep warm...
Can anybody qualify what I thought I heard?

So...if I needed to keep warmer, I'd burn more calories, and so lose weight?

*locks self in fridge with Mars bar*:wacko:

Blue

Legendary Member
rich p said:
On a Wednesday morning after my Tuesday evening pub session I'm sure I download more than 2lbs:ohmy:

Reminds me of a Peter Kay joke where he was taking the piss out of a Weight Watchers weigh in when the group was asked to applaud a 1lb loss by a member and Kay commented "a pound, A POUND, I sh;t more than a pound".

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fab Foodie said:
David Attenboro' stated las week that 'generally' in Mammals about 80% of calories consumed are used to keep warm...

How do you mean qualify?

I mean, it's not so much the issue of temperature in terms of feeling a bit chilly, I gues, but the basic core heat that we have and reptiles don't, which is why they have to warm up in the sun just to function, whereas we can complain about feeling cold, but can still walk, talk and digest. I think that's what uses up the calories.

walker

Fab Foodie said:

In Mammal's other than Humans I would guss that to be right, especially those that are in water.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
your weight oscillates by at least two pounds during the course of a day!
if they say they "lost two pounds in a week" it might just mean they weighed themselves on monday in the evening just before bed, and on sunday just after they'd got up.

well for reasons i won't go into, i must weigh less than 5 minutes ago xx(

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Arch said:
How do you mean qualify?

I mean, it's not so much the issue of temperature in terms of feeling a bit chilly, I gues, but the basic core heat that we have and reptiles don't, which is why they have to warm up in the sun just to function, whereas we can complain about feeling cold, but can still walk, talk and digest. I think that's what uses up the calories.

I meant, did I hear right, or is there a reference available that says whether the statement is true, whether it varies for different species or is it good for all mammals whether landlubbing, aquatic or human?

Dave5N

Über Member
Actually, I only need to lose two stone. SO I could stop sometime in September?

Top Bottom