1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't understand weight loss

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Cycling Naturalist, 8 Feb 2008.

1. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

It's generally assumed that a pound of fat on your gut is 7,000 calories. It's also assumed that a male needs about 2,500 calories per day. More than this and he puts weight on. Less, and he loses weight.

Now, this is the bit I don't understand. People say that they lost two pounds in a week. Now this is 14,000 calories of blubber, whereas the normal intake for a week would be 17,500 calories. Some say that they've lost three pounds, which is 21,000 calories. Does this mean that they've had nothing to eat all week?

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I thought it was 3,500 calories in a pound for a start. And your calculations have not factored in any exercise. In a tough hour you can burn off a thousand calories or more.

3. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

I know nothing whasoever about dieting as I am a skinny thing. However, I thought that a lot of initial diet RAPID weight loss was supposed to be down to dehyrdation. Hence it going straight back on again when they give up only eating celery or whatever bonkers diet they have embraked upon.

4. Cycling Naturalist

A lot of people claim to lose weight and their idea of excercise is a short walk to the shops.

5. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

3,500 calories in a pound of fat. Your assumption is wrong.

6. Cycling Naturalist

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. It also explains how I put three pounds on during a week's skiing. :wacko:

7. red_tom

red_tom New Member

I put weight on when skiing mainly due to the French mountain diet of Steak, Cheese, Wine, Beef, Cheese, Beer, Dead Cow, Cheese and hot chocolate. ;)

8. Cycling Naturalist

I had a traditional Swiss mountain diet of large fried breakfast, rosti type lunch, beer, crisps, nuts, salty snacks, beer, gin and tonic, five course meal and more beer. And very nice it was too. :wacko:

9. walker

walker New Member

3500 is right, dunno where you got your 7000 Pat

10. Cycling Naturalist

Neither do I - it was just a figure that had stuck in my head and made the calculations all awry.

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

your weight oscillates by at least two pounds during the course of a day!
    if they say they "lost two pounds in a week" it might just mean they weighed themselves on monday in the evening just before bed, and on sunday just after they'd got up.

12. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

On a Wednesday morning after my Tuesday evening pub session I'm sure I download more than 2lbs:ohmy:

13. Cycling Naturalist

Lots of very yeasty beer followed by a curry with a lot of fried onions? :wacko:

14. meenaghman

meenaghman Veteran

which reminds me of some grafiti i saw once in a bog in Stranraer

Turds weighing more than 1kg should be lowered by hand

15. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

David Attenboro' stated las week that 'generally' in Mammals about 80% of calories consumed are used to keep warm...
    Can anybody qualify what I thought I heard?