I don't understand weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's generally assumed that a pound of fat on your gut is 7,000 calories. It's also assumed that a male needs about 2,500 calories per day. More than this and he puts weight on. Less, and he loses weight.

Now, this is the bit I don't understand. People say that they lost two pounds in a week. Now this is 14,000 calories of blubber, whereas the normal intake for a week would be 17,500 calories. Some say that they've lost three pounds, which is 21,000 calories. Does this mean that they've had nothing to eat all week?

domtyler

Über Member
I thought it was 3,500 calories in a pound for a start. And your calculations have not factored in any exercise. In a tough hour you can burn off a thousand calories or more.

Chris James

Über Member
I know nothing whasoever about dieting as I am a skinny thing. However, I thought that a lot of initial diet RAPID weight loss was supposed to be down to dehyrdation. Hence it going straight back on again when they give up only eating celery or whatever bonkers diet they have embraked upon.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
domtyler said:
I thought it was 3,500 calories in a pound for a start. And your calculations have not factored in any exercise. In a tough hour you can burn off a thousand calories or more.

A lot of people claim to lose weight and their idea of excercise is a short walk to the shops.

red_tom

Patrick Stevens said:
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. It also explains how I put three pounds on during a week's skiing. :wacko:

I put weight on when skiing mainly due to the French mountain diet of Steak, Cheese, Wine, Beef, Cheese, Beer, Dead Cow, Cheese and hot chocolate. ;)

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
red_tom said:
I put weight on when skiing mainly due to the French mountain diet of Steak, Cheese, Wine, Beef, Cheese, Beer, Dead Cow, Cheese and hot chocolate. ;)

I had a traditional Swiss mountain diet of large fried breakfast, rosti type lunch, beer, crisps, nuts, salty snacks, beer, gin and tonic, five course meal and more beer. And very nice it was too. :wacko:

walker

domtyler said:

3500 is right, dunno where you got your 7000 Pat

bonj2

your weight oscillates by at least two pounds during the course of a day!
if they say they "lost two pounds in a week" it might just mean they weighed themselves on monday in the evening just before bed, and on sunday just after they'd got up.

which reminds me of some grafiti i saw once in a bog in Stranraer

Turds weighing more than 1kg should be lowered by hand

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
David Attenboro' stated las week that 'generally' in Mammals about 80% of calories consumed are used to keep warm...
Can anybody qualify what I thought I heard?

Top Bottom