I dropped my chain for the first time today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongrant

Hi all,as the title says,yes i dropped it lol.Heres the background,im on my usual 35 mile loop and move into the large chainring because im on a slight downhill for about a mile but i know there is a climb coming.I decide its time to move back into the small chainring and off the chain drops and gets jammed good and proper between crank and ring(I think).Worst part was the right side crank arm was stuck at the bottom of the pedal stroke and this is the side i unclip but from the top of the stroke so i was all panicky but luckily i mangaged to unclip and dismount safely:smile:.

I get the chain on but it starts slipping every few revolutions so i decide to head straight for my LBS,they are superb and looked at it right away.Turns out the chain jamming had kinked a link slighly and was causing the slippages.I asked if a new chain was needed but was assured that it would be fine now that the link was put right and everything was checked over.

So the question is what could have caused the chain to drop in this way,i know the FD is set up fine because my mech checked it and would have adjusted if needed,the chain has 300 miles on it and is always clean and dry lubed,so im left with operator piss poor shifting technique:blush:.

Any advice on shifting from large to small chainrings will be greatly received.(sorry for the long post).

Btw its a double 39/53 with 8sp cassette.

Simon

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Youngoldbloke,i have ordered a dog fang,do you have one of these fitted and if so can you tell me exactly where its meant to go as i believe it has no instructions.I have looked on google images and some have it just below the chain and some have it in line with the chain.

Cheers

ps,as for the price a fiver seems well worth it to me considering the PITA i went through the other day lol

Simon

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Everyone should have a Dogfang. Especially if you ride with others. Throwing a chain when riding in a line can bring others down behind you. Less then a fiver for that? Bargain.

Top Bottom