I enjoyed that...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Getting back in the saddle after a break and even before the break I was more of a "5 mile each way commuter"

Left the bigger hills behind and took the bike on the train back to my old pedalling grounds of East Yorkshire. Rail Trail from Hull to Hornsea that I used to ride back in the early 90s, over through Leven to Beverley and a 40mph blast down to South Cave on the edge of the wolds.

I know this is just a warm up for some, but 55 miles covered today is a big jump from the max 25 of recent times for me

I've been more into walking and can walk for hours on a banana but clearly cycling is different - failing to pack any sustenance was an error, bonked terribly on the climb up Brantingham Dale which in peak district terms is just a bump (also a bit dehydrated as had a couple too many Friday night but it was a pub regular's 93'rd so it had to be done as he'll not have many more)

Lesson learned - hopefully the 10l saddle pack from DX arrives soon so there's room for a couple of trek bars. A bottle of lucozade and a bag of crisps at Hull Paragon Station was one of the best meals I've had in ages :biggrin: and set me up for PBs all the way home at the other end after getting off the train

cyc3.jpg
cyc2.jpg
cyc1.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I used to go to Hornsea by train

There is a book by Cliff Pratt of Cliff Pratt Cycles in Hull that you would like I think. It is called "Sixty Six Years as a cycle tourist. "

Its a good read and will give you some ideas for routes in your area.

You will need to hunt it down.

D

Deleted member 1258

Getting back in the saddle after a break and even before the break I was more of a "5 mile each way commuter"

Left the bigger hills behind and took the bike on the train back to my old pedalling grounds of East Yorkshire. Rail Trail from Hull to Hornsea that I used to ride back in the early 90s, over through Leven to Beverley and a 40mph blast down to South Cave on the edge of the wolds.

I know this is just a warm up for some, but 55 miles covered today is a big jump from the max 25 of recent times for me

I've been more into walking and can walk for hours on a banana but clearly cycling is different - failing to pack any sustenance was an error, bonked terribly on the climb up Brantingham Dale which in peak district terms is just a bump (also a bit dehydrated as had a couple too many Friday night but it was a pub regular's 93'rd so it had to be done as he'll not have many more)

Lesson learned - hopefully the 10l saddle pack from DX arrives soon so there's room for a couple of trek bars. A bottle of lucozade and a bag of crisps at Hull Paragon Station was one of the best meals I've had in ages :biggrin: and set me up for PBs all the way home at the other end after getting off the train

View attachment 460056 View attachment 460055 View attachment 460054

Sounds like great fun, well done.

Slick

Guru
Looks great, well done. :thumbsup:

Glad you managed some PB's after getting off the train, any time I've done it my legs have felt like concrete and all I've managed to do was limp home.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is the downhill by South Cave Staxton Hill by chance ?
I've driven it a good few times and often wondered how its be on a bike...but I'm a bottle merchant with hills :tongue:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Good ride but as you get fitter you'll find you make more efficient use of food and drink.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Is the downhill by South Cave Staxton Hill by chance ?
I've driven it a good few times and often wondered how its be on a bike...but I'm a bottle merchant with hills :tongue:
South Cave is just off the A63 near the Humber. Staxton is about 35 miles further north. Did it once fully laden with camping gear many years ago. It was..umm...it made me thankful for good brakes

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom