I feel left out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Every cycling mag, every cycling advice, every cycling article is directed at 16 to 35 years old Ithink. Talks about nutrition, training, performance, distances etc... always seem to involve younger riders. My point is: the older generation ( over 60's) are not really interested in all that I think. We just want to enjoy our bikes without getting concerned about the latest gear to wear, the fanciest bike to buy, average speeds and distances, regular training for better performances and so on. So what if we are a bit overweight and don't have the body of a well tuned athlete, we can't turn the years back. It would nice to see advice and articles for the older cyclists sometimes and maybe organised rides without the pressure of competiting against others. We are not geriatrics either but just keen cyclists who just want to enjoy our hobby at our own speed. Not sure if my message will be understood.
Speak for yourself^_^! You don't have to buy the magazines - there's always the Oldie. Anyway, once over 65 we are irrelevant.

screenman

Legendary Member
What would the magazine be called I can see so few buying it maybe something like, Is Anyone There.

Growing older is compulsory growing up is not.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Out of curiosity what kind of article would you like to see in a magazine for someone who shows little interest in nutrition, training, performance, distances etc or concerned about the latest gear to wear, the fanciest bike to buy or competing in any manner as you stated?
Ypu
Out of curiosity what kind of article would you like to see in a magazine for someone who shows little interest in nutrition, training, performance, distances etc or concerned about the latest gear to wear, the fanciest bike to buy or competing in any manner as you stated?[/quote
You have a point, it doesnt leave much does it? Oh well, I will just carry on doing my own thing and just please myself then.

snailracer

Über Member
Out of curiosity what kind of article would you like to see in a magazine for someone who shows little interest in nutrition, training, performance, distances etc or concerned about the latest gear to wear, the fanciest bike to buy or competing in any manner as you stated?
Well I'm sure anyone in the Commuting, Family Cycling, Touring, Campaigning, etc. forums would have suggestions, and there are mags devoted to those particular aspects.

yello

I take it you wont be buying such mags again then?

In fairness, I know what you are saying. I periodically buy such mags ('Le Cycle' here in France) in the hope there'll be something that interests me. I'll flip through, look at the pictures, read the odd article, skim read the rest.... and ask myself why I bought it. It's not like it's not obvious which market it's catering too. Worse thing is that I'll do exactly the same thing in 6 to 12 months time! Odd innit?

Truth is (and this is a shameful admission, I know) I'm actually more interested in 'House & Garden' that my wife gets.

http://lovelybike.blogspot.co.uk/

Any ladies out there, or just if you like bikes, this lass writes a very good blog. Covers city riding mostly but has some interesting other articles such as one about the twin films cycling the route of the berlin wall before/after destruction.

A nice alternative read to nutritional information!

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse

How about a good beer guide or which pubs sell the best sarnies :thumbsup:

Nebulous

Guru
Watch it change as the baby boomers come through!

Depends what you buy. I remember a particularly good article on training for different age groups, looking at things like recovery rates and differing nutritional needs.

I'm 50 and have only been cycling 2 years. I've had a lot of help from a cycling mag, though as Boris says I pick and choose what I actually use.

I'm not reading it as quickly now, and its getting a bit samey, so I'm thinking of cancelling but it has very much hit the right spot for a while.

Licramite

Über Member
I started cycling in a more continuous way , must be 15 year's ago but only in the last 18 months have started taking notice of latest cycling trends. - hence only just started looking at cycling mags. - which mag do you recommend.
I,m into touring & mountain biking
I,m closer to 60 than 50 now (god how did that happen, its those bloody birthdays I should stop having them)

I,m looking for things like , zimmer frame attachments and can you put spd clips on carpet slippers, whats the protective quality's of a flat cap.

Top Bottom