I feel left out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm happy to listen to what other people have to say on cycling, but then I'll go and make my own mind up.

A good approach and perhaps one everyone takes in truth.

I like to have a variety of input when deciding anything, to be as informed as is practical. Magazines can be one of those sources. I feel it beneficial to be aware of new products and approaches even if you then only dismiss them as not for you.

How about a good beer guide or which pubs sell the best sarnies :thumbsup:

Oh I'd tear off my right nut, well maybe, for a 'CAMRA guide to the best cycling stops'. A sensibly paced (ie how much you drink rather than how fast you cycle!) beer tour is a wonderful thing.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Does anyone read magazines anymore, anyway? - they are so 20th century :rolleyes: . Haven't bought a magazine of any kind for ages - the only ones I receive regulatly are from the CTC and BHF, and we only buy one newspaper a week on the weekend. You can get all you want, and much, much, more on the net - it's ridiculous paying many £s to buy what amounts to mostly thinly disguised advertising. I would predict that within 10 years or so most wil have disappeared in dead tree format.

Licramite

Über Member
A good approach and perhaps one everyone takes in truth.

I like to have a variety of input when deciding anything, to be as informed as is practical. Magazines can be one of those sources. I feel it beneficial to be aware of new products and approaches even if you then only dismiss them as not for you.

you can't do that ! - god if we all did that it would anarchy
No you have to read all the scientific papers then scrutinise in great detail their methodology , (ignore the ones you don't agree with) and then let the scientists tell you what to think.
you can't go round thinking for yourself, hell next you will be saying you rely on instinct and personnel experience ! :laugh:

(sorry theirs not a smile for tongue in cheek)

yello

I would predict that within 10 years or so most wil have disappeared in dead tree format.

I know what you're saying but I sincerely hope not. There's nothing like flicking through a mag and reading the odd snippet etc, even if it is only 'House and Garden'! In truth, I prefer the printed word over the computer screen any day.

D

Deleted member 1258

you can't do that ! - god if we all did that it would anarchy
No you have to read all the scientific papers then scrutinise in great detail their methodology , (ignore the ones you don't agree with) and then let the scientists tell you what to think.
you can't go round thinking for yourself, hell next you will be saying you rely on instinct and personnel experience ! :laugh:

(sorry theirs not a smile for tongue in cheek)

I rely on instinct and personal experience a lot, I've had many years to build up the personal experience but it still gets me in all sorts of hot water sometimes, perhaps I shouldn't use it so much, but that would be such a waste. ^_^

compo

Veteran
I stopped reading cycling magazines when it dawned on me that many of the journalists do little more than dress up and regurgitate manufacturers press releases. There are more useful cycling related items on this forum than in magazines and without paying out pounds to read pages of advertising.

Licramite

Über Member
I must admit I would miss standing in smiths reading a magazine , then putting it back, if it all went digital
I used to read books that way when I commuted to bristol, a couple of pages a day, it was my standing up library so to speek

Hip Priest

Veteran
I like reading cycling magazines, but as some of the experienced heads on here have said, you have to pick and choose which advice is good, and which is just trying to flog you the latest gewgaw.

I read a piece last year which suggested that the Shimano Ultegra D12 groupset was ideal for beginners.

chewy

I like reading cycling magazines, but as some of the experienced heads on here have said, you have to pick and choose which advice is good, and which is just trying to flog you the latest gewgaw.

I read a piece last year which suggested that the Shimano Ultegra D12 groupset was ideal for beginners.

Ah yes...the magazine industry's idea of 'budget' differers greatly from mine!!

I am 70 this year and have just subscribed to one of the mags (to get the cycling jacket) but then I also subscribe to a Writers Mag, a Bird watching Mag and a A Walking Mag oh aye and a computer mag. If it wasnt for the mags how would you know what was on the market? because the shops will not stock an item unless it is asked for. As for fitness I am not any where near as fit as I was 12 months ago, thanks to Arthur Rituscoming to lodge in the knee and a dog that is even slower than I am but I will be back up to some sort of standard for the annual tour between May and July, not as far as hoped and certainly not fast but I will get where I intend to go.

Top Bottom