I feel old :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
pzycoman said:
I get confuselated between some words sometimes though - in Arabic there isnt really a diffrence between "argument" and "discussion", and I dont really understand why there are 2 diffrent words that essentially mean the same thing in erngleesh. And also english is quite clumbsy compared to Arabic where a very slight variation in the way you pronouce something drastically changes what it means - "Adhbun" means tasty, whereas "Adh'bun" (diffrent syllabul (sp)) means torture. Just be very very careful what you order from the resturant ;)

And if you ask for a 'ard bun' at at the baker's you'll get a stale roll; then don't complain and say you got a 'ard one' cos it'll sound like 'ard on'! :sad:

Twenty Inch said:
Twenty Inch refers to my wheel size, not to anything else. It should also be "3 inch's" in the singular possessive case.
Always helpful if you possess a singular three incher.;)

Pzycoman's English is indeed better than my non-existent Arabic. So good, in fact, that it is a pity it is let down by relatively minor grammatical errors.
Happens to the best of us. My understanding of grammar is appalling.

I regret not learning Arabic. Although I speak fluent German, Spanish and Russian, good French and conversational Italian, and write reasonably well in the first four languages, I always feel that I would have enjoyed the challenge of Arabic.
Heavens, a polyglot in our midst! Chapeau to you sir, my failure to grasp foreign languages is a stain on my educational escutcheon and I have the greatest admiration for anyone who succeeds in mastering more than their own native tongue.

pzycoman said:
I get confuselated between some words sometimes though - in Arabic there isnt really a diffrence between "argument" and "discussion", and I dont really understand why there are 2 diffrent words that essentially mean the same thing in erngleesh. And also english is quite clumbsy compared to Arabic where a very slight variation in the way you pronouce something drastically changes what it means - "Adhbun" means tasty, whereas "Adh'bun" (diffrent syllabul (sp)) means torture. Just be very very careful what you order from the resturant ;)
"Confuselated" - excellent, should be a proper word! :smile:

There isn't much difference between argument and discussion here either, at least, there isn't in Soapbox....:sad:

I guess that what you are saying just highlights the (to me) near impossibility of fully grasping another language and the concepts it embodies. It's a bit like trying to describing the colour blue to a blind person.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I also like "confuseulated"!;)

I was thinking that it must be very hard to get over the idea of words meaning different things according to intonation, but I guess it's not that much different to our English words that are spelt the same and said differently, and may or may not be said differently.. (see the thread by cisamcqu) They must seem inexplicable to someone learning English as a foreign language!

wafflycat

pzycoman said:
I feel really really old - iv just realised, at teh grand age of 23, iv spent 4 years working.

Thats almost 1/5th of my life spent working.

By 25, id have spent 6 years working - over 1/5th...

:sad: ;)

*old hag mode*
*cackles*
*smacks young fool*

Youth of today doesn't know it's born...

:biggrin:

wafflycat

Whining about being old? Arabic first language? Hmmm... can't write the script, but I think it *sounds* something like 'anar ma assif jiddan' which should mean something along the lines of 'I am very sorry.' But as my arabic is err... non-existant, that's probably completely wrong! :sad::biggrin:

Now, enough sympathy you young whippersnapper. Quit whining and grow up. ;):biggrin:

*forum old hag mode*

OP
OP
pzycoman

pzycoman

Waffly, dont make me run upto you and hug you really tight ;)

'Ana Ma' Aasif Jiddan' basically means that yeah, but its a very formal way of saying it - id be out of place if i said that (you probably wouldnt, since you dont know arabic slang etc)

Top Bottom