I feel the need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigTone0777

I just feel the need to have a moan about an incident with a car driver that happened yesterday whilst riding home from work.
As I was riding along the road minding my own business when a driver decided to drive along side me, roll down his passenger window and have a go at me for not riding on the half arsed attempt at a cycle path. I thought this to be rather stoopid as I felt much more at risk with him driving along side to me so close that I thought I was along side a team doc's car (or similar) with him leaning over the car to voice his opinion than riding along the cycle path which is covered in wet leaves, dog muck, dog walkers letting their dogs walk in my path and rather a lot of broken glass let alone having to stop every 200 yards for junctions. When this was explained he simply uttered some obsenity and sped off.
I did get a laugh when I rode past him about a mile up the road and gave him a little wave as he sat in traffic!
I know this won't put anything right but I just wanted a rant so thanks for putting up with my whinge!

Tony

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
He was just envious of you getting the fresh air :rolleyes:
Well done for not ranting back at him: it's safer to rant on here :laugh:

Bengarbage

well done for keeping calm, you will not educate these people so don't try unless you want confrontation. Just be happy the stressball in the car will probably have a shite day whereas you'll feel invigorated:smile:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd have said "F you, arriss hole" and carried on without a second thought.
Do you think being a well built chap such as yourself makes this sort of abuse from drivers less common for you? Have you ever had any random, unwarranted comments from angry penis heads.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm less well built, and I'd have said much the same as Drago.
I've never had a car pull up and a driver rant at me, but they do sometimes yell obscenities as they pass and I just yell back.
Or gesture.

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

Thanks for the replies and letting me rant lol.
It's definitely the first time this has ever happened, I've had drivers shouting obscenities as they pass me on that particular stretch of road but never anything like this which I consider dangerous, if I had been less experienced I could have had a "wobble" and been under his wheels. I think drivers think that because there is a cycle path along that stretch of road then it HAS to be used but in fact it is horrible to the point that I think it is dangerous. There is a cycle path on another section of my commute which I do in fact use as there are far less pedestrians, dogs, wet leaves and puncture causing debris.
I would also like to add at this point that as a car driver myself that I am not against all drivers, just the ones that seem to have an opinion about something they haven't a clue about!
Anyway..........rant over lol
Thanks Guys!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
next chap that does that reach out to steady yourself on his wing mirror it'll put it out of whack and he'll spend ages getting it in the right position again ;)

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

Ha ha ha I bet that would really piss him off lol. I did consider just holding onto his door and thanking him for saving my energy but I thought that might just tip him over the edge and give me a real chance of ending up on my arse lol

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
next chap that does that reach out to steady yourself on his wing mirror it'll put it out of whack and he'll spend ages getting it in the right position again ;)
Or not bother using it along with lights , indicators and common sense ^_^

The driver was a numpty ,
tumblr_m5sjdbXXaO1ruo5glo1_500.gif

steve36

Regular
Hi bigtone,
I've had a couple of problems with drivers in the same area as you,got myself a cheap helmet cam and you should see their faces when you point it out And mention the police or you tube.
I would have rather spent the money on other things but it does give me peace of mind at a time when I nearly gave up cycling because of hassle.

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

Hi bigtone,
I've had a couple of problems with drivers in the same area as you,got myself a cheap helmet cam and you should see their faces when you point it out And mention the police or you tube.
I would have rather spent the money on other things but it does give me peace of mind at a time when I nearly gave up cycling because of hassle.
Hi Steve, just out of interest do you tend to have driver problems in the same part of town? Where this happened was at the very top of Yarm Road?
I don't think I would give up cycling because of this kind of thing, I'm normally thick skinned but this Guy really annoyed me because he was dangerous. I only wish I'd taken his reg number. Your helmet camera would have been handy for that

Top Bottom