I feel the need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

It's not all that bad, all the problems I've had have been with drivers demanding that I use the cycle paths on my commute to work

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Do you think being a well built chap such as yourself makes this sort of abuse from drivers less common for you? Have you ever had any random, unwarranted comments from angry penis heads.
No doubt not as muscular looking as a weightlifting Drago, but at 6'2 and big built i've not had anything like this at all, the odd silly comment from teenagers as you'd expect. My mate who's literally half my weight seems much more prone to it in general, on a ride before Ive caught upto watch some nob trying to tell him off more than once :smile: That said, I did think from his photo and username that Tone might not look like an easy target ;)

donnydave

Über Member
I've experienced this kind of thing, the "debate" took place about 1/4 mile after he tried to squeeze me off the road whilst pointing wildly at the cycle path. I caught up with him in the 1/2 mile queue for the next lights (which is there without fail) and when he said "your shouldn't be on the road, your holding all the cars up" I just laughed at him and pointed at the queue. I should have left it there and gone on my way but I tried to explain why I was on the road (useless cycle path that crosses a zillion minor roads etc) but that just got him even more angry. I seem to get this maybe once every 2 weeks or so, I'm fairly tall but very skinny so not very intimidating and perhaps viewed as an easy target. I now try not to engage with these people and channel the anger into super-whippet speed to make good my escape. You cannot reason with them, you cannot alter their world view and you cannot assume that they won't use their car as a weapon at the next opportunity to enforce their point.

Sometimes though its VERY difficult not to shout back, even when you know it won't help. I often think to myself "if you're trying to scare me off the road you'll have to try a lot harder than that" but wouldn't dream of saying it in case they reply "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED"

donnydave

Über Member
Another thought - I mainly get shouted at for using the road, but just for a bit of variation some of the shouting suggests that I'm poor and cycle because I can't afford a car, and therefore don't deserve any courtesy because they assume I stack shelves for a living. Often I slip into daydream mode and imagine the look on their faces when the next morning they see me chugging along in my AC Cobra.....

Incidentally when I did stack shelves I drove to work and wouldn't dream of cycling. Now I design bits for aircraft I cycle to work and wouldn't dream of driving. I also now avoid flying!

Recycle

Über Member
I wish I had the self control to keep quite when faced with motorists with a disproportionate sense of their own entitlement. I go tourettes & exhaust my profanity vocabulary. I once caught up with a scooter driver who called me a <rude word for human genitalia> , took his keys from his bike & asked him to politely repeat what he called me (it never came to blows but it was close). I simply can't help it, I just do it.

400bhp

Guru
I wish I had the self control to keep quite when faced with motorists with a disproportionate sense of their own entitlement. I go tourettes & exhaust my profanity vocabulary. I once caught up with a scooter driver who called me a <rude word for human genitalia> , took his keys from his bike & asked him to politely repeat what he called me (it never came to blows but it was close). I simply can't help it, I just do it.

:giggle:

Top Bottom