I feel the need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rancid

I'd have said "F you, arriss hole" and carried on without a second thought.
+1

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The problem that I have is that I am fairly short (5'6'') and weight 9st. That means that I am very prone to getting the "Get off the road" comments. I havent had any recently (touch wood) and I hope I dont for a while.

Another problem is that when someone tells me I am in the wrong or I know they are in the wrong, then I like to correct them as I have been brought up to know right from wrong. Therefore I feel the need to notify people of their wrong doing.
It used to consist of me approaching every driver who passed me too closely or pulled out in front of me. Now I very rarely approach people and if I do, then it would have to be about something very dangerous.

I've only ever had something similar once, in the North east of England. We had followed the National cycle route diligently the previous evening and after it had crossed the road 5 times in less than a mile and had stupid giveway lines at everyone's driveways. we had taken the decision the following morning, not to bother with it and cycle back up the road instead. We were on laden tourers with tent...

Low and behold we got the same abuse from a male car driver who hassled us constantly for a couple of hundred meters (on a totally desserted road) and then zoomed off into the distance. We sighed a short sigh of relief until we came around the next corner where he had pulled up across the cycle lane blocking it at 90 degrees trying to make a point. We could see a lady in the passenger seat that was trying her hardest to calm him down - he was out of his car and in our faces before we really had time to take anything in. So we offered to let him try cycling our bikes down the cycle route - fully laden touring bikes - something he clearly had no experience with. He never got any further than trying to turn my husband's bike around, nearly dropping it into his legs before he had even mounted it. He never said a word after that, got into his car and drove off - no engine revving this time. It was a huge gamble - but we reckonned that he wouldn't get far on the bike anyhow and there was not much he could do damage wise and clearly could not handle the bike... we laugh now, but at the time it was quite intimidating, but I think we got the point over.

It can be very intimidating, but staying calm is really the only option. loose your rag and they have won.

siadwell

Guru
I had a bit of a slanging match the other day with a driver who took exception to me pointing out that I was indicating to turn right when he overtook me. He then braked alongside me and tried to push me into the kerb, at which point I slapped his bonnet. He got out of his car and threatened to "discuss" it with me, until I pointed out to him that there were several witnesses around.

It ruined my ride so will endeavour to simply ignore such plonkers in future.

"You can't win an argument with an idiot; they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Lanzecki

Über Member
The problem is that one day your response to someone in kind is gonna result in the red mist coming down and what is usually a calm and collected driver (most of them are, just as most cyclists are), who's just having a bad day swerving and hitting you. The car will be in the paint shop, and you'll be in hospital..

That said I'll give as good as I get. But I'm trying the suggestion on a previous topic and answering them with random comments such as "A quarter past 6", or "Take the next right" It does seems to work in calming everyone down.

donnydave

Über Member
I've experienced this kind of thing, the "debate" took place about 1/4 mile after he tried to squeeze me off the road whilst pointing wildly at the cycle path. I caught up with him in the 1/2 mile queue for the next lights (which is there without fail) and when he said "your shouldn't be on the road, your holding all the cars up" I just laughed at him and pointed at the queue. I should have left it there and gone on my way but I tried to explain why I was on the road (useless cycle path that crosses a zillion minor roads etc) but that just got him even more angry. I seem to get this maybe once every 2 weeks or so, I'm fairly tall but very skinny so not very intimidating and perhaps viewed as an easy target. I now try not to engage with these people and channel the anger into super-whippet speed to make good my escape. You cannot reason with them, you cannot alter their world view and you cannot assume that they won't use their car as a weapon at the next opportunity to enforce their point.

Sometimes though its VERY difficult not to shout back, even when you know it won't help. I often think to myself "if you're trying to scare me off the road you'll have to try a lot harder than that" but wouldn't dream of saying it in case they reply "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED"

Holy thread revival batman! I saw this guy on Tuesday just after the shared use cycle path ends but wasn't sure if it was him. Saw him again today and he gave me a very close pass so he may remember me (as I'm on the same bike probably in the same clothes) or chances are he would do that for fun to anyone who he thought shouldn't be on the road.

So, it would seem his routine may have changed and I could be seeing more of him. There's no way I'm hanging around at work to leave later in order to avoid him, or taking a longer, more inconvenient route but I am worried how this could escalate.

The section that I see him is 75% of the time followed by half mile queue of walking pace traffic for the lights at Willingham crossroads. I have no problem confronting him when his car is stuck in traffic, I'm not a conflict-seeking adrenaline maniac but I'm not changing my routine for this idiot, or bowing down to what he thinks is right, so given the opportunity I will confront him. My plan if he does it again is to catch up with him and tell him 1) I can ride on the road if I want to 2) he is using his car a weapon and intimidating other road users 3) if he does it again I shall inform the police.

What do you think to fitting old unused bike light and tell him I'm filming him as extra incentive? Obviously being from Yorkshire I want to avoid spending any actual money on the resolution to this problem.

Top Bottom