I got a fixed penalty today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kendalcottages

Nothing to be proud of, I know. :biggrin:

I was driving a car and it was for turning down the little side-street on the right at this junction.

junction.jpg

In case you can't spot it in the picture (it's in the shade), there's a white 'left' arrow on a blue background in the top left hand corner of the shot.

Would you interpret the above to mean that you weren't allowed to turn right? There is no signage such as this present:

norightturn.gif

What do you make of it?

Thanks.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
IIRC the blue background means it's an instruction, so Turn Left Ahead is what the sign means to me.... bit ambiguous as it could mean that you mustn't proceed "straight ahead" (presumably against the one-way, although it doesn't appear to be signed as such) rather than not being able to turn right.

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

Not making excuses, but I think it would be fair to say they could make it much clearer. The sign is pretty much *at* the junction, rather than before it so, if you're stuck in traffic behind a bus or similar, chances are you see it after you've already started indicating to go right, and by then your attention is drawn to making that right turn safely (watching for pedestrians, oncoming traffic from three directions, etc.)

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

Yes, I did. From the police.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
That's pretty mean IMHO! The signage is unclear - they could have let you off with a slap on the wrist. I could understand them giving an FPN if there had been a girt great sign in red saying "no right turn". Perhaps they were just looking for "business" that day. I would appeal it on the grounds that the signage is unclear, even thought it is technically correct. In addition, did you make a dangerous, sudden swerve at speed into the road, without indicating? Or did you sit with your indicator on, waiting for a safe gap in which to turn? If the latter is true, and they haven't accused you of driving without due care and attention, then I would suggest you have good grounds for appeal.

thomas

the tank engine
I would probably argue. Blue doesn't mean mandatory, only those in a red circle do! Blue is an information sign.

If you couldn't turn right, IMO, it should be a no right turn, with "expect buses" written underneath.

41_01_60---No-Right-Turn_web.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=PnpMDNRLKAtr8HyHFOgkvA&cbp=12,338.73,,3,2.78

(I know that is a traffic light, but you get the idea)

I'd say that the wrong sign is in use and fight the ticket. The sign shown isn't mentioned in the highway code (or I can't see it)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/Signsandmarkings/index.htm

The signage IMHO is perfectly clear if you know the highway code (the big left turn arrow marked on the road gives it away). Ignorance of the law is no excuse but if visibility to the sign (if thats the only one) is an issue that may be a defence but I'm not sure if that would be accepted; perhaps a legal person could advise.

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

I was indicating and waited for a safe gap. To be fair, I'm not entirely blameless as it was a manoeuvre I didn't think I was allowed to do (I know, I know). The alternative is to follow the instruction which means you have to go through various parts of town in order to turn around and come back. When it's fairly busy, this can potentially add 15-20 minutes to your journey.

...so I'm more inclined to just take it on the chin and pay up.

The police could make a small fortune from the junction as there's probably an offence being committed there at least every few minutes during the day. The two that stopped me agreed that it was all a mess and a pain, etc. and that they stopped people regularly for it.

Top Bottom