I had a bit of a shock today ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Well, full marks to Evans and to the Royal Mail. It arrived this morning 24 hours after ordering.

It's this one, £19.99 including carriage. Just looked and Evans are no longer selling it though.

It's now on the bike, but it's so cold out that I'm not planning a test ride just now. If it's not as bleak tomorrow I may go out and take that bike instead of the Horizon, otherwise it'll have to wait until I have to go out on Monday.

First impressions are that it seems well made, it's firm on the backside as it should be, and just to ride 100m up the road and 100m back to check it's on properly it felt better than the Selle Royal that's been on there.

I'll comment again when I've ridden it.

Fiona N

Veteran
I keep looking at the Charge Spoon in the wider, women's, version as it seems to be easier to get coloured ones (i.e. anything other than black really, but I do draw a line at the pink one :blush:) than for the Selle Italia saddles which I've used on every bike I've had since 1982. But it's hard to swop from a known winner, even on the mtb.

It doesn't seem to matter which Selle Italia women's saddle I use, they all seem to be comfortable. I guess they have a 'house' style that fits my physiology :biggrin:

I keep looking at the Charge Spoon in the wider, women's, version as it seems to be easier to get coloured ones (i.e. anything other than black really, but I do draw a line at the pink one :blush:) than for the Selle Italia saddles which I've used on every bike I've had since 1982. But it's hard to swop from a known winner, even on the mtb.

It doesn't seem to matter which Selle Italia women's saddle I use, they all seem to be comfortable. I guess they have a 'house' style that fits my physiology :biggrin:

You must have been born with an 80's bum shape Fiona. I was not. I had a few Selle Italia's but they weren't great but if it fits and is comfy, stick to what you know, especialy saddles.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had a classic Flite and thought it was comfortable until I tried a friend's Spoon. Sold the Flite on Eblag and bought a Knife, now I know my quest for a comfy saddle has ended.

Davidc

Guru

There has to be a good reason for changing then.

I'd just put a Brooks B17 on every bike knowing they're comfortable, but as said above they're also expensive so I need a cheaper alternative that I don't mind replacing every so often.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I want to get one of the spoon saddles, just because I like the name (and my arse is shaped like a pudding bowl)

krushavik

Question!! Excuse my ignorance but I have noticed that all these Spoon Saddles all have MTB before them. Is there a difference between them and a road bike saddle. (Don't laugh)

Davidc

Guru
Question!! Excuse my ignorance but I have noticed that all these Spoon Saddles all have MTB before them. Is there a difference between them and a road bike saddle. (Don't laugh)

Not that I know of.

There may be once you get into xc racing etc. and also for TT and similar road bikes, but for us normal mortals it's a case of finding something the right shape and texture for our highly individual bottoms to be comfortable on.

Davidc

Guru
Took my new (non-shiny) Spoon for a 12 mile ride this morning.

It's on the mtb, which had a reasonable seat when new but the vandals slashed it (and the tyres) when the bike was 3 weeks old. Since then the mtb has mainly had the Selle on it, just tolerable, and I used the Brooks B17 for longer rides before I bought the Horizon, totaly comfortable.

My verdict, exclusively applicable to my own backside, is that the Spoon gets voted a very creditable No. 2, behind the Brooks (pun entirely intentional).

Since the Brooks is unlikely to ever be put on the mtb again, and I'm not planning to spend the money on a new Brooks for the mtb either, that makes the Spoon No. 1 choice for the mtb, or any other round-town utility bike I use.

So - While I may not agree with you, Gerry Attrick, about absolute comfort this thread was timely for me and has ended up with a new seat on that bike which is ideal for its job, at a sensible price, and of a type I hadn't previously considered. So thank you.

A footnote - I finally threw out the remains of the vandalised saddle yesterday, complete with its Ridgeback logo. It was reasonably comfortable until wrecked. It looks exactly the same shape, size, and profile as the spoon, and the material feels the same. Not that I'd wish to speculate on the meaning or significance of this similarity....

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Took my new (non-shiny) Spoon for a 12 mile ride this morning.

It's on the mtb, which had a reasonable seat when new but the vandals slashed it (and the tyres) when the bike was 3 weeks old. Since then the mtb has mainly had the Selle on it, just tolerable, and I used the Brooks B17 for longer rides before I bought the Horizon, totaly comfortable.

My verdict, exclusively applicable to my own backside, is that the Spoon gets voted a very creditable No. 2, behind the Brooks (pun entirely intentional).

Since the Brooks is unlikely to ever be put on the mtb again, and I'm not planning to spend the money on a new Brooks for the mtb either, that makes the Spoon No. 1 choice for the mtb, or any other round-town utility bike I use.

So - While I may not agree with you, Gerry Attrick, about absolute comfort this thread was timely for me and has ended up with a new seat on that bike which is ideal for its job, at a sensible price, and of a type I hadn't previously considered. So thank you.

A footnote - I finally threw out the remains of the vandalised saddle yesterday, complete with its Ridgeback logo. It was reasonably comfortable until wrecked. It looks exactly the same shape, size, and profile as the spoon, and the material feels the same. Not that I'd wish to speculate on the meaning or significance of this similarity....
I'm pleased you like it David. Give your rear a few more rides and it may become completely Spoon-shaped.

Top Bottom