I had a crash last wk...

How much have you spent on your bike since buying it ?

• NONE

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • UNDER £500

• £500 - £1000

• Over £1000

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
alecstilleyedye said:
off the top of my head (rough figures):
upgrade to full tiagra 9 speed groupset: about £220
new wheels: £65
pedals: £30
saddle: £25
seatpost: £20
about £45 in tyres, £70 in lbs re-cabling (which i now do myself), £20 in bar tape and god knows what on blocks.
so more than the bike is worth, but actually not too bad as similarly equipped alu framed bikes don't cost much less than this, so you could say i've bought it in installments.

not bad not bad at all.

Im just happy I get trade now It saves loads

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

spandex said:
not bad not bad at all.

Im just happy I get trade now It saves loads

;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Rhythm Thief said:
Consumables don't count, unless they're actual upgrades (ie, if you wear a tyre out and replace it with a similar one, that doesn't count, but if you remove a cheap tyre before it's worn out in order to replace it with a better one, it does).

what if you upgrade it when it wears out? i've just gone from rubino to rubino pros once the old ones started puncturing. similarly, i've upgraded the brake blocks from standard shimano one-piece to the replaceable type with kool-stop inserts when the originals wore out.

My summer bike all I've spent is £50 on new pedals, of course that meant new shoes and I've bought other accessories too. On my winter/ training bike, I've had it a bit longer so I've bought a couple new chains/ pads / cassettes. I've had a couple new pedals on it and a carbon seatpost but the biggest I've spent is new wheels (Mavic Askiums) and tyres (conti 4 seasons foldable) and I doubt I've spent more than £500.

mondobongo

Über Member
Upgraded to clipless pedals at the time I bought the bike have since upgraded the wheels and tyres and will be ordering a new saddle at the end of the month.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
got-to-get-fit said:
You can only claim the difference in cost of the upgrade - say the original was 20 quid and you upgraded to 35quid pro's then you can claim 15 quid
ahh, but can i not factor in the original rubinos as they replaced the kenda tyres the bike came with?

Trillian

my road and mountain bikes combined cost over £1000 in parts

the roadie came rusty from a shed, the mtb came as parts from another bike and some new ones.

domtyler

Über Member
My summer commute is a Dolan fixie and although it has had mucho use, I haven't had to spend much at all on it. I replaced the original pedals (old style Ultegra's) with new style Ultegra's and replaced the original Bonty hardcase tyres with GP4000S's and that is just about it. Less than a hundred I think in over a year. :biggrin:

Just goes to show that speccing a bike out and getting it built the way you want from the start is much cheaper in the long run.

Top Bottom