I had an idea...what say U?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...riding down the road today it occured to me that there arn't enough lines on the road. What we need is for the inside lane of busy'A' roads in particular to be divided by a new line (green?). The purpose of this is to tell morons (drivers) that if a cyclist is present they MUST only pass if they can safely do so without being in the inside section of the inner lane. It would look a little like a cycle lane on the actual roadway.Ordinarily cars will be able to drive along the road as normal, the new green line only comes into force as they pass cyclists. Inside the new inner green zone the cyclist is king, touch him/her and the driver is automatically deemed at fault regardless of anything. This would be in addition to not in place of existing rules. I suppose it would really be a visual reminder of what is pretty much expected under the highway code but in practice rare occurs.

Noodley

Bigtallfatbloke said:
... Inside the new inner green zone the cyclist is king, touch him/her and the driver is automatically deemed at fault regardless of anything.

How about not bothering with more bloody lines and just having the "driver automatically deemed at fault, etc.." in ALL circumstances, unless proved otherwise?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

How about not bothering with more bloody lines and just having the "driver automatically deemed at fault, etc.." in ALL circumstances, unless proved otherwise?

I agree except that I'd rather be alive than argue fault. We should adopt both idea...green lines and automatic driver fault...walls sound cool as well

it might work?. i was on the bus coming home today as i cant ride a bike at the mo. i was sitting just behind the driver going along bishopthorpe rd in york and there was loads of parked cars. i see this bike going along the road very close to the cars thinking to my self the bus driver is going to push past. at that point he dose 5inchs from the bike and the rider shouted so the bus driver slowed down to block him in i pointed it out to the driver and he just said he was in the way (in the fu..ing way?). so i get his driver/ bus number and time/place and get off the bus at the next stop to give it to the bloke on the bike but he had gone.

so yer i hope all roads have them.

Big Bren

Cycle lanes are next to useless to cyclists and make motorists hate us even more; we need to be seen as part of the traffic, not an annoyance to be relegated to the gutter.

I'd rather see a reduction in street furniture and road markings, together with a borderline OCD level of law enforcement for absolutely all offences committed on the road, including by cyclists.

Noodley said:

No! Not until idiot POBs learn that dropping their bikes off the pavement into the middle of the road ten feet in front of an approaching artic without so much as a glance over their shoulders is a Bad Idea. If I'd hit him (and it was pretty close) I'd have had a job proving anything and it wouldn't have been my fault.

Top Bottom