I Hate Ice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
BentMikey said:
Although some of my audax mates who've a lot of experience in very extreme conditions suggest that road tyres are better than ordinary MTB tyres for ice.

I'd love to be able to justify buying studded tyres and an MTB!

to quote sheldon brown ..

"In the absence of studded tires for frozen lakes without a snow crust, slick tires are better than ones with miniature automobile tread because they give more contact surface, thereby reducing contact pressure and slip."

So i guess slicks are better than mtb tyres

I am currently using my hybrid with 26x1.5 scawble city jets that are semi slick till the weather picks up i feel a bit safer on it although it may be all in my mind

PBancroft

cyberknight said:
to quote sheldon brown ..

Not wanting to hijack the thread (maybe I should start another, but I've started writing this reply so I'll finish). What did Sheldon Brown do to become such an authority?

Now, know this - whenever I'm in a cycling discussion with my mates I will quote him, reference him, or generally call upon the vast amount of online knowledge he has imparted.

However, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what he did to become so well renowned. Apart from being early to the scene online, of course.

Why did his views become so well regarded?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think because he talked a lot of sense, and wrote a huge amount on his website where it was easily linked in discussions. Lots of content, lots of linking, quickly makes for a google authority.

megamega

Does anyone else have experience that slick tyres are better on ice? i had an off last year and had to use the car that day. Luckily i've only missed 3 days in the last year commuting but i have just bought new treads and am wondering if i should put my slicks back on, or are treads at low pressure better?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slick or MTB....once going...gone if enough ice..... even 1.5 tonne cars do it.....

I've done a stack of commuting on many a dry winter in the lanes in Cheshire - took it easy, but the road was dry and frosty.

If you get rain, then a freeze......seriously dangerous..... I leave the bike now.

One day...many moons ago, left for work (20 miles away - used the MTB - yes the one I have now) not too cold - roads fine...been down a big descent then a climb... got further out into Cheshire - went down a dip....about 30 mph, and the bike just went..... luckily no cars ...but burnt the crap out of many layers of clothes and overshoes - bike slid on bar ends, pedals and QR end caps......

Bit further on, off again at about 15-20, then again...... not funny at all. Got to work battered and bruised.... my line manager...(my age now) got to the end of his road, slipped at a junction, and broke his leg....... same morning.....

BE CAREFUL..............

Coldest night of the winter so far, round these parts, -6°C. Roads certainly look treacherous in places. No sign of any gritting done: the odd shovelful of ordinary builder's sand sprinkled in a few places, probably done by concerned residents not the Council; not much help. Me no like. :biggrin: Took the corners very slow.

Wolf04

Stephenite said:
Generally speaking wider tyres and lower pressures give better 'grip' on ice. What you're aiming towards though, when choosing tyres for ice, is getting a lot of tread pattern on the ground/ice. The more edges in contact with the ice the better. Whilst knobbly mountain bike tyres are going to help on loose surfaces like mud and snow they are not much use on ice. Also, soft rubber is better than hard.

...in a professorial voice... Study the picture below.

2d92xyt.jpg
Schawlbe Marathon Winter

You see that there is a finer tread pattern on the 'sticking out bits' (knaster in norwegian, forgotten the english word). This finer pattern expands under your weight and prevents*, to an extent, sliding. (*Or rather discourages).

Of course, the studs on this tyre help too!

But, remember, whatever tyre you use on ice you are going to wipe out if you take corners at speed.

I have a set of 700c Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 35mm with tungsten studs for winter. They are live savers on black ice but not much use on frozen soft snow the bike was all over the place last winter as the crust collapsed under the tyre. I saw loads of mountain bikes seemingly unaffected. Horses for courses I guess.

Attachments

• 2d92xyt.jpg
    2d92xyt.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 3

just4fun

was a fair bit of ice on my journey today, i go home in the snow in a couple of hours, im not looking forward too it.

PBancroft

A little sprinkling of snow in Basingstoke earlier, Winchester too but gone by the time I got back. Nothing but wetness for the ride home.

A little disappointed really.

Top Bottom