I have a chest infection ... probably

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Yes, I know cycling with a chest infection is a really bad idea, but I don't know for certain yet that it's a chest infection, so that's my excuse :tongue:

I skipped yesterday's ride and went for a walk instead because I was feeling rough, and started self-medicating with steroids when I came back (my doctor's OK with this), but the Surly was looking lonely and sad today, so I couldn't leave it sat there in the store room where the other bikes pick on it ...

I managed 20-odd miles at a very slow speed, and every time I tried to raise my heart rate above 140, my body said FU, but I felt happier for it when I got back, if not better. (I have to say, exercise doesn't usually have a negative impact on my asthma, and that was true for today. But it didn't have a positive effect either!) At least I managed to get out on my bike rather than being cooped up at home feeling sorry for myself.

I'll go and see the doctor tomorrow, when he's back from his Christmas break, and get some antibiotics.

Just looking for sympathy, really.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got some animal Amoxy caps that my vet friend gave me, if you'd like them?

(Yes, sympathy; I'm familiar with the generally ropey feeling of a chest infection.)

Same problem here - not been on my bike for 2 weeks. Still at least the weather has been rubbish - I'd have felt a bit more cheated if it was the middle of summer and I was missing out on some decent rides.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Been feeling wheezy for the last couple of weeks, thought I'd get Christmas out of the way and if it hadn't cleared up go to the Docs. I went this morning, and have been prescribed some antibiotics and had to go to the hospital for an x-ray. Still did 50 miles yesterday though.

Lanzecki

Über Member
My doc's a proper cyclist (His words) he cycles parts of the TDF route. His opinion is that as long as you are able to, and it's not making it worse riding a bike is permissible. The last chest infection I had I got early medical intervention and kept gently cycling. I think I go over it quicker.

But then again the Doc thought my wife was having a heart attack a few years ago. Turned out it was the baby she was carrying (7 months pregnant). So I'm not sure I really trust him.

Surely there's a doc on Cyclechat?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Ive had one over Christmas, didn't stop me doing the MTB red route in Gisbern Forrest , why i went i have no idea as i like road cycling not trying to head butt trees and slip over rocks with 20ft falls, but i did feel better for the fresh air (and i must have gone through a few tons of fresh air pedaling the trails)

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've had a chest cold for over two weeks now and I knew it was coming on because the leisurely three miles to work exhausted me and made me cough so hard it felt like my lungs were going to turn inside out. I skipped cycling at all for a couple of weeks and had my first tentative ride out yesterday (just 15 miles), and didn't sleep last night due to coughing and general crappyness, and then woke up this morning with my cold feeling as bad as it did when it started.

I have no choice other than to cycle to work this week, but it's going to hurt. I really don't want antibiotics as they cause me, er, other issues that aren't very nice.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Had mine for 4 weeks, mine is due to post nasal from my sinus problems. Pretty much the same as the OP, harder up hills but always feel better afterwards. Not sure the gutters on my ride are too happy about it though.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Had mine for 4 weeks, mine is due to post nasal from my sinus problems. Pretty much the same as the OP, harder up hills but always feel better afterwards. Not sure the gutters on my ride are too happy about it though.

Four weeks! If I still sound like I'm storing marbles in my lungs after four weeks I will be most mufty.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that I had a chest infection when I got ill in July. I was short of breath and coughing a lot and it felt like chest infections that I'd had in the past, only my airways were clear so I wasn't actually coughing anything up.

The first doctor I saw didn't really pick up on what was going on and only treated me for the pains in my back muscles caused by endless violent coughing.

A second doctor later suspected blood clots might be to blame and my leg turning purple and numb confirmed that suspicion, so I was lucky enough to get the right treatment in time.

Someone posted in my GWS thread that a colleague had had similar problems but a young A & E doctor had misdiagnosed the problem as asthma, leading to the death of the person from a pulmonary embolism a couple of days later Since I got ill, quite a few people told me that they knew people who had also died of the condition.

I certainly wasn't aware that a persistent dry cough is one of the signs of a pulmonary embolism so I'm making a point of raising awareness of this. Lulubel, or anyone else with such a cough - bear this in mind if your condition doesn't respond well to the treatment offered by your doctor. They can order a D-Dimer blood test for signs of clotting. The chest can be checked for pulmonary embolism with a CT scan and legs (and arms too, I believe?) checked for DVTs with ultrasound scans.

Anyway, lulubel - hopefully, you don't have a serious problem and you GWS!

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
We're a sickly lot, aren't we? ;) Who'd have thought all these fit cyclists would be coming down with chest infections?

I certainly wasn't aware that a persistent dry cough is one of the signs of a pulmonary embolism so I'm making a point of raising awareness of this. Lulubel, or anyone else with such a cough - bear this in mind if your condition doesn't respond well to the treatment offered by your doctor. They can order a D-Dimer blood test for signs of clotting. The chest can be checked for pulmonary embolism with a CT scan and legs (and arms too, I believe?) checked for DVTs with ultrasound scans.

I knew you were ill, Colin, but I didn't know what it was. It sounds as if you were lucky to get diagnosed.

I don't actually have a cough yet. I've just got that heavy feeling in my chest, I can't seem to fill my lungs with air, and it hurts if I try. I did try to trigger a cough earlier by pushing it a bit during my ride, but my body wasn't having it. I coughed up a bit of something, but not enough to collect and examine. (Sorry, hope you're not eating :biggrin: )

I just staggered down to the vet with Sam. Arrived on time for our appointment, waited half an hour, then staggered back again because Sam was getting stressed. I could do without that on a day when I can't breathe properly, and I'll now have to make another appointment for tomorrow. Bloody vets.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
aww get well soon lulubel.

ive been fighting one virus or another ever since the sun went in in about september :sad: went out for a steady 40 today and now ive brought another cold out, despite taking nearly 2 weeks off the bike to recover from a spot of over training.

I have some zinc tablets coming to help boost up my immune system a bit, its pretty run down.

bad couple of days here with my asthma as well, but for me when it gets bad it means no cycling. As a rule, if I can't actually sleep more than an hour bewteen asthma attacks at night, and it continues into the day as well, no anything whatsoever, my asthma is simply too bad to risk it despite exercise being good for it. So far an extra inhaler (to maximum dose) and doubling the anti-histamines have not helped despite staying 100% dairy free today, so I am expecting a rough night - I may break out the whisky. What it usually means is I am going down with something - what remains to be seen, I am guessing I will know in the morning after another sleepless night. so if this makes no sense, I am blaming it on sleep deprevision... :wacko: if it does not settle, the steriods will be coming out here as well, but not until tomorrow am, taking them at night is counter productive and will guarentee no sleep at all even with the aid of a hot toddy.

(PS - deprevision? I don't seem to be able to find the right word...)

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I'm lucky (I think?) in that mine is just a slow and steady deterioration when I'm getting ill. The only ups and downs are when I take my reliever and it helps for a while. I'm also very good at sleeping. The only thing that's ever stopped me sleeping during an asthma attack is the stress of being in hospital! Steroids, caffeine and other stimulants (the stuff they put in Day Nurse comes to mind) don't disturb my sleep at all, and if I've got a headache at bed time, painkillers with caffeine actually help me to drift off nicely.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Not being able to cycle is rough.

albion

Guru
"I can't seem to fill my lungs with air, and it hurts if I try"

Well take it easy. years ago I always felt rough with asthma. And so I just got on with it.
However 'from cold' when leaving the train station at Whitby climbing one of the big hills my lungs suddenly collapsed like bellows. It only lasted a few seconds but the piercing noise certainly still haunts.

Luck of youth?

Top Bottom