I have a Hernia!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Just been to hospital and had a scan.

What does this mean for my cycling - not good news I guess.

Gutted but at least it was nothing more serious.

Be glad when May is over - it's turning out to be a shocker

screenman

Legendary Member
3 days off for me and racing I think about 3 or 4 weeks later. I was out shopping the day after the op.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
When I had mine fixed, in 2002, I was in quite a lot of pain if I did anything fairly energetic, other than walking, for about 6 weeks.

Techniques may well have improved since then though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What did they say at the hospital?

I had a hernia operation several years ago. It was a very small operation and I recovered in no time. The thing is to take your recovery slowly in order to heal properly.

screenman

Legendary Member
When I had mine fixed, in 2002, I was in quite a lot of pain if I did anything fairly energetic, other than walking, for about 6 weeks.

I dad mine done at BHC using the mesh methme in about 1994, the NHS were still using an old method at the time.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

What did they say at the hospital?

I had a hernia operation several years ago. It was a very small operation and I recovered in no time. The thing is to take your recovery slowly in order to heal properly.

I ended up in Urology today as it was unclear the problem. Urology no longer deal with hernias so have been referred. I have no idea what is next but i'll take it as it comes - I've been fixed up more times than I care to mention.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have had two. A bellybutton one which was not much problem but about a month before I cycled. The second lower down ( cannot remember the technical term ) was similar but after a few days my whole genital area turned nearly black. Went into A&E and had to wait at least 15 minutes before being seen by a doctor. She airily said that this happens sometimes but nothing to worry about and it will recover. She admitted that it might have been a good idea to warn patients this may happen. It did recover ok and back cycling again but in this case it took about six weeks.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

The question my family are all asking - Did cycling cause this issue.

From a quick read up, sounds like some people are more susceptible to Hernias than others and that any strained effort could have caused it. We will ignore the 50 mile ride I did the day before it flared up. The previous week I did pick up one of those ground whacker plates which could have triggered it too.

I cannot and will not stop riding - unless they saw my legs off.

lane

Veteran

I had mine done in mid 90s I think. I wasn't a cyclist at the time but from what I remember it was more like a few weeks than a few days to recover. However I am not sure things have necessarily changed much, because my window cleaner recently had a hernia operation and discussing it with him it's taken a few weeks for him to fully recover. No doubt it depends upon a number of factors. It's not a major operation though and other than some time off the bike it won't be a major issue. I would say though it is better to take the appropriate time to recover fully rather than rush back to cycling too soon.

screenman

Legendary Member
Look up the British Hernia Clinic. Which is where I had mine done, excellent in every way. I even popped back in 15 years later, it was just a slight groin strain that time.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I remember searching for information online and found a couple of decent chatrooms / forums where you could share experiences. Although it was quite a worrying thing for me, I found those forums very useful, they helped reduce the feeling of isolation and it was reassuring to realise that other people had the same niggles, worries and experiences. They may be useful if you can find similar ones nowadays.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
IIRC I was advised I didn't have to stop riding, but if I did, to just take it steady for about 2-3 weeks. But reality was a totally different matter. I couldn't get my leg over the frame, without a lot of pain (Ingroinal hernia), for a couple of weeks.
Best advice I can offer, is trying to avoid for the 10 days or so before the procedure, anyone who you suspect might have a cold. Coughing, blowing my nose and sneezing was, IME very painful, for the first week or so afterwards.

Edit - Re your family and cycling possibly being the cause, many footballers have hernia ops. But then again two colleagues at work also had them. One was very unfit and overweight. The other whilst not overweight probably the most vigorous exercise he got was walking to and from his car.

Last edited:
I had mine done with open surgery and mesh probably about 4 years ago now. Very painful for about a week , then just discomfort for a further 3 weeks - 6 weeks I was swimming - ten weeks back in the gym. I t was done on the NHS - this is probably the most basic surgery there is.

Some tips:-
  • Take the pain killers -even if you think you don't need them - immediately after surgery the anaesthetic will numb the pain and you feel all macho 'hey I feel fine" - So I didn't take pk's - next morning woah that hurts !

• Prune Juice - you might get constipated - and you don't want to be forcing one out with a fresh hernia repair - prune juice keeps everything moving.

• Try and get more active each day - even if its only walking

• Watch your food intake if you sitting around doing nothing - you get tempted to eat
Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Top Bottom