I have a mate that has lost 4 stone in 3 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madcyclist

When I split with my wife at the end of January 2008 I lost 3 stone within 3 months from just over 17st. I put this down to eating better and starting to exercise much more regularly combined with the stress of breaking up. My weight has fluctuated since but trended downwards to my current weight of 10st 4lbs, increased weight loss whenever I increased the training for specific cycling goals and increased weight when winding down.

I've recently started taking protein supplements as although i'd like to be as fit and close to my ideal weight as possible for my upcoming tour I'd also like to maintain what precious little muscle mass I've got for climbing the Himalayas

BearPear

Veteran
Mr BP lost 4 stones but it was over a longer period, about 8-10 months. He took up running, ate smaller portions, more sensible choices and curbed his sweet tooth. He was a man on a mission! He has maintained this loss through exercise, mainly cycling these days, and sensible eating.

I think the weight loss you describe is a bit too rapid, but if a person sets their mind to it, and has an iron will, they could manage it, but it isn't something I would recommend. Being a member of weighwatchers we are told that a sensible weight loss, as someone mentioned above is 1-2 lbs per week.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
chillyuk said:
I did similar 3 stone in 3 months a few years ago. I was getting worried. I worked nights and had to take three or four uniforms to change during the shift as I was sweating so heavily. Having convinced myself I had cancer I went to the doctor and it turned out I had Graves Disease causing a wildly overactive thyroid. This caused my metabolism to go off the scale hence the weight loss. I had my thyroid gland totally removed just before Christmas so am still trying to get my thyroid relacement hormone right as I am now constantly tired, constantly hungry and beginning to put on weight.

That sounds a bit similar to a friend of mine... she really struggled those first 6 months, especially being tired. Now a couple of years on she just has to watch what she does more carefully than me for example. When we go for a bike ride we ride at a gentle pace, and she wears a heart monitor so that she doesn't exercise above a certain level.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I was 39 stone and dropping those numbers was never an issue TBH, however if I read it right you are saying he was 15 stone and is now 11 stone ??? If thats correct then I pretty sure you already know the answer is that its not healthy, how tall is your mate ?

Top Bottom