I have a mate that has lost 4 stone in 3 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I really struggle to see how this is
1) healthy
2) he did it naturally

anybody have any experience of this sort of weight loss?

C

chillyuk

montage said:
1) healthy
2) he did it naturally

I did similar 3 stone in 3 months a few years ago. I was getting worried. I worked nights and had to take three or four uniforms to change during the shift as I was sweating so heavily. Having convinced myself I had cancer I went to the doctor and it turned out I had Graves Disease causing a wildly overactive thyroid. This caused my metabolism to go off the scale hence the weight loss. I had my thyroid gland totally removed just before Christmas so am still trying to get my thyroid relacement hormone right as I am now constantly tired, constantly hungry and beginning to put on weight.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
chillyuk said:
I did similar 3 stone in 3 months a few years ago. I was getting worried. I worked nights and had to take three or four uniforms to change during the shift as I was sweating so heavily. Having convinced myself I had cancer I went to the doctor and it turned out I had Graves Disease causing a wildly overactive thyroid. This caused my metabolism to go off the scale hence the weight loss. I had my thyroid gland totally removed just before Christmas so am still trying to get my thyroid relacement hormone right as I am now constantly tired, constantly hungry and beginning to put on weight.

Sounds nasty - my mum has a thyroid issue so I know how much it can affect a person
Hope it works out

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
User3143 said:
Depends how heavy he/she was before hand.

Going from say 15 down to 11 stone I'd questioned.

Being close to 20 stone and losing four - piece of cake (pardon the pun)

It was 15-11

jimboalee

It also depends on the person's height and skeletal size.

A short person with 'small' skeletal proportions will have a lighter 'ideal' weight than a tall person with 'large' skeletal proportions.

What is you mate's 'ideal' weight? How much overweight are they after the weight loss?

Has your mate gone underweight? This is the time to worry.

I lost a stone in a week thanks to glandular fever which wasn't pleasant or pretty. Annoyingly for me it took so much longer to put the weight back on than it did to lose it even when eating like a pig/double portions etc.

adscrim

Veteran
is 4 stone in 3 month not the kind of weight loss that extreme low calorie diets like lighter life promise?

What the reason, I wouldn't think it was healthy either.

montage said:
1) healthy
2) he did it naturally

I was 11 & 1/2 stone when I left school, then I got prancreatitis and fell to 9 & 1/2 in a few weeks; its certainly not healthy.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've gone from 20st to just over 13st in 18 months at 1-2lb per week loss. IMO anything faster than 1-2lb loss is going to be unsustainable. Also at that rate, from what I understand, he'll probably have lost muscle mass due to the rate of loss.

ChrisKH

Guru
My sister-in-law has been yo-yo dieting for years then a couple of years ago she lost 2-3 stone in about three months and managed to keep it off. No coincidence that within six months she was diagnosed with gall stones and had to have her gall bladder removed. I'm told the two (rapid weight loss and gall stones) can be linked.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
montage said:
1) healthy
2) he did it naturally

I lost 4 stone from 16 to 12 in about 10 months by taking up cycling :-) and eating less junk food but in no way dieting or depriving myselF OF BEER AND TAKEAWAY BUT ONLY OCCASIONALLY.

If your friend is exercising more than before and carefully controlling his/her diet then I would say it could be a natural and healthy weight loss.If in doubt theyshould speak to a doc obviously.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
They are aiming to lose weight yes...sorry I should have made this clear. He seems to be exercising and eating well - I'm just suspicious

I wouldn't worry too much. If your mate didn't do much exercise he would lose a fair bit initially - a stone in the first month is easily achievable. All he would then need to lose is three stones in 8-10 weeks which, although not advised, isn't too drastic. That's somewhere in the region of 4 pounds per week, twice the advised rate of weight loss, but if he's eating healthily (avoiding fatty or sugary foods, alcohol etc) I don't see a long-term problem.

Trek Trauma Chris

montage said:
1) healthy
2) he did it naturally

When I was diagnosed with raised blood pressure, my G.P. asked me to lose some weight as a first measure, buy a home b.p. kit and see him in 3 months. I was 161/2 st at the time but weight trained and ran, so fairly fit. I started to train in the a.m and the p.m. 7 days a week, 30 mins weights and 30 mins running both times, cut out all rubbish food (in my case a bag of crisps or a biscuit) and stopped all booze.

2 months later my blood pressure was going through the roof, the training staff at the gym said that I was loosing too much weight too soon, so in panic went back to my G.P. after 2 months I had lost 3 st in weight and my blood pressure was normal, but at 6'2" he said that I looked too skinny and suggested I put back on half a stone, he also pointed out that these home kits for b.p. struggle to take an accurate measurment on a muscular arm as opposed to a fatty ish one hence the false reading.

Top Bottom