i have a saracen tour one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy0001

Über Member
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/saracen-tour-1-2008/#more

that's the one,
I want to do the LeJOG next year, i used this bike for a triathlon last year and have done a few 20 mile runs on it, I have bought specialized cleat pedals and shoes which fit well on the bike,
is this bike good enough for the LeJOG? im hoping that by maybe changing the front gear to a triple (if possible) and getting better wheels and tyres would it be okay to do?

Any advice would extremely grateful, as i can upgrade it bit by bit over the year before i do this,
or am i just better off selling this up as well as my MTB which i use for travelling the short distance to and from work on(3 miles each way) and buying a better bike?

thanks in advance everyone!

It would do the job ok if you're going lightweight and staying in hotels/ b&b's, carrying camping gear would be a bit of a problem.

Changing to a triple would mean a lot of cost, going for a compact (34-50) chainset would be much cheaper, easier and give low enough gears. Fit the biggest tyres (probably 28mm) it will take, maybe get the wheels checked over, replace the chain, brake pads etc. if worn, you'll be fine.

If you need to camp, converting the mtb, depending on what it is may be a better option.

OP
OP
A

andy0001

Über Member
It would do the job ok if you're going lightweight and staying in hotels/ b&b's, carrying camping gear would be a bit of a problem.

Changing to a triple would mean a lot of cost, going for a compact (34-50) chainset would be much cheaper, easier and give low enough gears. Fit the biggest tyres (probably 28mm) it will take, maybe get the wheels checked over, replace the chain, brake pads etc. if worn, you'll be fine.

If you need to camp, converting the mtb, depending on what it is may be a better option.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for answering, i am planning on doing the hotel/b&b route, i think i'll look at a decent compact chainset then and i plan on getting newer tyres and brakes etc closer to the day which is a long way off yet.
it doesn't have holes for a pannier so i'm aiming for a seatpost mounted one and a smallish handlebar bag.
thanks for the help
thumbsup.png

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Bike should be fine (do change to that compact though).

If you want to fit luggage then you can always use p-clips to attach the rack or alternatively get something like a carradice saddle bag.

Top Bottom