I have a weird cheque/payment from NHS.....Can anyone offer advice please??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Based upon the link from @dave r , it could that study, but you wouldn't be in the Southampton area, neither the age group. So it looks like the cheque belongs to someone else.

The study isn't confined to Southampton, its nation wide, I found links to a number of places, its looking like the cheque is for someone else who took part in the trial, unless the doctor enrolled him and forgot to tell him.

Drago

Legendary Member
Paging @Drago
You shouldn’t cash the cheque, as you know you are not entitled to the money it may well be illegal.
Someone sends me a cheque, to my house, my address, with my name on it, I am reasonably entitled to presume that they have gone to a degree of effort to establish who I am and where I live. Having gone to such effort, I am then reasonably entitled to presume that I am the intended recipient.

Its rather different from an obvious payroll or banking error, an accidental click of a single key. The hypotetical act of sending me a cheaue in my name to me at my house takes a reasonable degree of deliberation and diredted effort. I would be entitled to bank it. If it then turned out to be an error then I would have no qualms about returning it, although I might then charge them £150 for the upset and distress in unnecessarily accessing my personal data that led to me being sent the chque in the first place.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes....thats what I read when I googled it.
My main worry is that I have been given this vaccine unknowingly after being told I was getting Pfizer

I would think the cheque is a mistake and you've had the Pfizer

presta

Guru
Do a search on the phone number. If it's a scam, someone will have logged it on one of the 'whocalledme' sites.
Those sites are useless, they're full of idiots who think that any number they don't recognise must be a scam just because they don't recognise it, even when there's nobody saying they've actually been scammed.

Last February, I ignored a series of automated calls telling me to get vaccinated from a number that was listed as a scam on those sites, and ended up getting vaccinated later than need be because the calls were genuine. If I had picked up the call instead of ignoring it, it was obviously not a scam because they weren't asking for any information, or telling you to use any particular phone number or website. The message just said "book your vaccination now". Since then I've had other calls from the same number about blood tests and scan results, it's a messaging agency contracted by the NHS.

vickster

Legendary Member
My main worry is that I have been given this vaccine unknowingly after being told I was getting Pfizer
You should have been given a card with vaccine manufacturer and batch number.

Just call them to clarify, or your Drs surgery

Lookrider

Only partailliy related too this
But sure I read on hear about scams involving cheques
Mainly went that a cheque takes weeks to fully clear in a bank as 2 banks have to process it ...the money may appear on your account but when a scam cheque bounces back then your bank get there money back from you and this can take upto 6 weeks
Somehow the scammers can use this period to access various details ( no idea how )
A guy on this site somewhere knew of this cheque scam and cashed the cheque at a money converters place and then the cheque was there worry and no bank details exchanged
No idea how it all works.. but that was the advice from him as to how to cash a scam cheque to your own advantage

Far more likely that the cheque has gone to the wrong person.

You filled out paperwork for both jabs ? It would clearly have told you there that it was a trial and they'd want your acknowledgement of this very clearly. Look at your vaccine card - it has the type of vaccine recorded on.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You'd absolutely know if you were receiving a jab as part of a trial. You'd have at east 15 minutes of reading the patient information sheet, and then you'd have to sign a consent form. You'd also have had height/weight recorded, vital signs, concominant medication check etc etc. My guess is that someone with your name was part of the trial and someone has looked up your address by mistake and sent a check to the wrong person.

In this day and age, no-one can be on a trial without knowing it. And on those very rare occasions that it happens, the punishments for the Dr or nurse who enrols you secretly or without your informed consent are quite severe.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Those sites are useless, they're full of idiots who think that any number they don't recognise must be a scam just because they don't recognise it, even when there's nobody saying they've actually been scammed.

Last February, I ignored a series of automated calls telling me to get vaccinated from a number that was listed as a scam on those sites, and ended up getting vaccinated later than need be because the calls were genuine. If I had picked up the call instead of ignoring it, it was obviously not a scam because they weren't asking for any information, or telling you to use any particular phone number or website. The message just said "book your vaccination now". Since then I've had other calls from the same number about blood tests and scan results, it's a messaging agency contracted by the NHS.
I know what you mean, but you can still get some helpful info if you read between the lines and use a bit of common sense.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorted.
Contact whoever sent the cheque and say it's been sent in error. Presumably the name on the cheque matches yours so it should be easy enough for them to identify the correct recipient

Top Bottom