"I have completed my first year as a London cyclist reborn, and realise I was wrong"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The last two paragraphs of the [full] article make it pretty clear that what he's doing is talking about tribalism and about how easy it is to move from 'them' to 'we' or 'I' once people choose to join a different tribe, or to exist in multiple tribes at once. From the article:
'I have changed. But in reality, this morning’s cyclist is this afternoon’s pedestrian and this evening’s motorist. Cyclists are like Mr Toad in The Wind in the Willows, deriving delight from whatever transport mode happens to take his fancy — a horse-drawn caravan, then a motor car, then an aeroplane.

The same applies to columnists. Every claim, every argument hides a first person singular, a secret self-interest. The only advice I can give the reader is to take nothing at face value. Smell for a rat, or at least a cyclist with an axe to grind. As for me, I can’t wait for my first driverless car.'

Seems to me that his point is one of seeing things from multiple perspectives and how we all have a tendency to sympathise with those groups of which we're members, even if that means multiple, nominally conflicting groups.

Top Bottom