I have got coffee in my eyes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So what exactly is s flat white?:whistle:

Do you want a serious answer or a funny answer? Unfortunately, I can't think of a funny answer so...

I used to wonder this myself when I ordering my daily cappuccino at Monmouth on the way to work. That's a proper hipster coffee joint if ever there was one and all the cool kids were ordering flat whites. After a while, I eventually plucked up the courage to ask the young man with the ornately waxed moustache behind the counter what it was... Basically, it's a short latte - a double shot of espresso with steamed milk, but not as much milk as in a latte. The steaming gives the milk a silky texture, but not the full-on froth of a cappuccino. For me, it's perfect - I find a latte too milky, and a cappuccino too frothy. Only trouble is a lot of the mainstream places that have lately added the flat white to their repertoire don't really get it and what they serve is no different to a latte, except in that it's 50p more expensive.

And in case you're wondering why it has an English name, that's because it's an Australian invention.

Tin Pot

Guru
Do you want a serious answer or a funny answer? Unfortunately, I can't think of a funny answer so...

How about...say, Keira Knightly?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

I used to wonder this myself when I ordering my daily cappuccino at Monmouth on the way to work. That's a proper hipster coffee joint if ever there was one and all the cool kids were ordering flat whites. After a while, I eventually plucked up the courage to ask the young man with the ornately waxed moustache behind the counter what it was... Basically, it's a short latte - a double shot of espresso with steamed milk, but not as much milk as in a latte. The steaming gives the milk a silky texture, but not the full-on froth of a cappuccino. For me, it's perfect - I find a latte too milky, and a cappuccino too frothy. Only trouble is a lot of the mainstream places that have lately added the flat white to their repertoire don't really get it and what they serve is no different to a latte, except in that it's 50p more expensive.

And in case you're wondering why it has an English name, that's because it's an Australian invention.

Yes I know;) and I think you know I know.....

How about...say, Keira Knightly?

:okay:

You can't think of a funny answer either then?

It's in the lead at present...:tongue:

Tin Pot

Guru
No, it's because you're making it wrong. There's no reason in principle why anyone can't make a perfectly decent cup of coffee in a cafetiere.

How hard can it be? Put in coffee, put in water, wait, press, pour. Tastes like crap.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 5168150, member: 45"]You can, but it won't taste the same as proper coffee.[/QUOTE]
Cafétière coffee is still proper coffee in my book, but Aeropress coffee is almost always better.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I'm still awake.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 5168430, member: 45"]I empty mine straight away, swill it under the tap, push the plunger back in and stick it on the drainer.[/QUOTE]
This. Second to the lovely coffee it makes, the best bit is hitting the plunger with the hand and depositing a puck of used grounds in the compost bin.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
If you want a longer yet strong coffee, use a moka pot with a fairly coarse grind - perfect!

20180204_114149.jpg

Top Bottom