I have never washed my bike....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
It's not as bad as it sounds- I have never touched my bike with a bucket of water and a sponge/ brush.

It gets a regular clean down with baby wipes and rags and the chain gets mickled appropriately so it's shiny on a weekly basis.

Is there any real advantage to getting it wet? surely this increases chance of rust/ water ingress into the frame etc.

Ernie_RBR

Not if you use the proper gear, I use Muc Off and a degreaser for the chain and the derailleur
Once the Bike is done I lube up all moving parts and all bolts get a touch up also....

However never use a powerhose to hose down your bike.. I use a garden hose with an attachment that sprays, this cleans all the dirt of first better before applying the Muc Off....

Never had a problem with rust on the any of my bikes Road and MTB...

Some of the contents I use.
  1. Bucket
  2. Garden hose with spray attachment
  3. Hot water
  4. Muc off Bike Cleaner
  5. Paint Brushes - Hard and Soft
  6. Sponges
  7. An Ole toothbrush
  8. Narrow flat-head screwdriver
  9. Old spoke or wire coat hanger
  10. Chain Degreaser
  11. Grease
  12. Chain lube
  13. Ole Rags

Hope this helps..

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A good power wash every now and then(as long as you don't blast the delicate bits)gets off the hard dried on stuff that sprays up from the road onto the frame or mudguards.Though i've found it's best to wash it after a ride in the rain as the previously baked on muck is softened and comes off better than when it's dry. I've got a bike that's 14 years old,i've washed it with buckets of water and power washers from new and the only rust that's appeared has been on the chain,and that's usually a day or two after a ride in the rain,not from me washing the bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bucket of warm water with car shampoo (no salt as thickener like dishwash).

Hand floor brush with long soft bristles.

Rinse gently with hose.

Allow to dry in a breezy place before returning to garage.

jay clock

Massive member
I do not use washing up liquid but curious about this salt malarkey? If you use it, then rinse with water, surely the salt will be gone?

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I do not use washing up liquid but curious about this salt malarkey? If you use it, then rinse with water, surely the salt will be gone?
I assume you just wouldn't get it all off and any that remains will get up to mischief?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Car shampoo, water and a sponge every time the bike gets rained on/wet roads - which means most days in winter. Mr Sheen'ed once every couple of weeks for the commuter.

Baby wipes can drag dirt and grit over the paint finish if it's particularly muddy, so be careful.

Top Bottom