I hit my first car today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..well it was all his fault...and I had to hit his car to stay upright...shame about the dent...oh well...

I was on the inside of the lane (couldn't have been closer to the side) on the opposite side of the road is a parked car. This moron in a ...wait for it...White van...pulls around the parked car over onto my side of the road...I quickly gestured at him to move back over and he points to the parked car as if it's the parked cars fault that he is about to flatten me in precisely .0001 of a second. There was no more than an inch between me and his van...so I hit his van hard....bastard had no respect for my life...maybe he'll have some now next time he decides to try and kill a cyclist. He definately saw me, because we locked eyes as he pulled out....it was then as if he thought...oh it's only a bike I can flatten it and nobody will care.
I tell you Drivers around here seem to think they have a God given right to drive on the wrong side of the road and expect everything else to move out of their way...self-gratification artists.:evil::blush:!:biggrin::thumbsdown:!

is the bike ok?

L

bonj2

shoot!:evil: you mean you hit it with your fist on the side? or ran into it?
was it a nice big dent? if so, might teach him to think twice.

col

Legendary Member
Classic case of ,it was anything elses fault but mine,even though i saw you and still pulled out.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
When working in Gloucester, one of my workmates* always made a point of going home in his steel toe-capped work boots so any mis-demeaning car drivers would be reminded of the error of their ways every time they looked at their dented bodywork.

*OK, it was me, used this tactic 'bout 6X in 8mths.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

shoot! you mean you hit it with your fist on the side? or ran into it?

I hit it with my fist as the side of his van hit my leg. He has a nice big dent in the side panel of his van...my leg is ok...

bonj2

Hmm.... :evil:
you'll be pleased to know it's best part of a ton even if it can be PDRd, so not small change. Certainly at least an inconvenience even for the rich.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh that's not good..... you were lucky - did the bugger stop ?

I have so far:-

Hit a Porsche when I was a kid - not looking....

Hit a parked car, glancing blow on an un lit lane..... hurt my thigh badly.

Hit the front of a Metro and ripped off the number plate - idiot pulled out on me

Hit and removed a transit van's wing mirror with my shoulder, followed by flying over the bonnet, smashing my wrist on the road, and bending my bike on scaffolding - I only just missed the scaffolding....

Not too bad in 20 years (for the last three)

urbanrider

Bigtallfatbloke;95502 I tell you Drivers around here seem to think they have a God given right to drive on the wrong side of the road and expect everything else to move out of their way...self-gratification artists.:twisted::o!:D:)![/quote said:
Been riding now for about 3 month and i think 90% of driver don't gave a toss about cyclist :blush:

Glad to hear your ok mate (and the bike too :thumbsdown: )

Arch

Married to Night Train
Glad you're OK, and glad you dented the van...

If I may be allowed a little hindsight: it sounds as if this is the sort of situation where being in primary might have prevented it - did you say you were right over to the left? If you'd been coming down the middle of the road, or of your side of it at him he might have thought twice about trying the move because it would have been more obvious there was no space...

Anyway, I hope he's learned a lesson. And I suggest chainmail gloves in future;).

(I've just been talking to a friend who kicked a BMW this morning, is it something in the air?)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Hi Arch..:biggrin:.yes I think you are probably right. Most of the time that would have been the safer option...however with this particular species of vermin I suspect I wouldnt be posting now had I not been as far over as i was, he wasnt going to stop for love nor money. Chainmail gloves...good idea...do they sell them at wiggle?:evil:

bonj2

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Hi Arch..:blush:.yes I think you are probably right. Most of the time that would have been the safer option...however with this particular species of vermin I suspect I wouldnt be posting now had I not been as far over as i was, he wasnt going to stop for love nor money. Chainmail gloves...good idea...do they sell them at wiggle?:biggrin:

no but can i recommend spesh fortress, they've got carbon knuckles. :evil::evil: bit uncomfy at first but once you get used to them they're nice

Top Bottom