I hold my head in despair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noahs_arc

Regular
I'm new to cycling (6 months) and often use this forum for 'hints and tips' and I respect the views of the cyclists that come on here and post their thoughts!

BUT BUT!! man what is ongoing with the debate about the pros and cons of wearing a helmet or not? This is p***ing me off. I see the thread/subject has been active for a while now.

We all know that we see these seasoned bikers riding around parading in some pseudo retro Italian cloth cap. Looks cool? I don't think so! Is this image telling kids (and other confused folk) that it's acceptable NOT to wear a helmet? It kinda does, doesn't it!? If he can, I can!?

I cant give out much advice about cycling, but one thing I can advise on is wearing a helmet. I work for the NHS, in and around one of the six major trauma centres in London, ....yes we get all kind of head injuries (some bloke painting the O2 falls off his ladder bang he lands on his head). Closer to home, earlier in the week we had a 32 year old male, established biker, commutes to work, on his usual route and approaching a mini-roundabout an elderly gentleman in his car pulls out on the cyclist <bang> the bike hits the car head on (no swerve or reaction time possible) the momentum has flipped the cyclist into the air who then lands full on to his helmet and shoulder, his helmet took the full impact. The car had a massive dent in the bonnet (I was told by the ambulance team). His helmet (high end MET) split into three pieces (it looked nasty) and his skull was cracked in a C shape. So he was rushed into the trauma unit to initially stem and relieve the internal bleeding and to, bottom-line, save his life! Spine ok?

Now we normally just get on with the job, but you only come to realise how lucky this bloke was making the choice of wearing a helmet when you see the relief in his wife's eyes when she realises that her husband was still alive. Then ..the tough subject surfaces, 'we're not too sure at this stage if your husband will be brain damaged' or suffer any other neurological effects. Hmmm.

So what I'm trying to say is, yes its OK for you to make the choice yes or no. But when you make that call, also remember close family and friends who might be left with a brain damaged partner! Will they (and you) be happy to spoon feed you during the recovery period!?
Honestly, I am trying to take on board the alternative view about not wearing a helmet. But let me once again take this this back to the trauma unit I can not think of one occasion where I thought the patient would have been ''better off'' [ROFL] without a helmet no matter what the scenario. I cant even paint one in my head never mind dealing with the reality.

Yeah sorry, I'm feeling hot under the collar about this. I suppose I'm just dumbfounded that the cycling community are not 100% united in a single message. That's life I suppose!

So just for me ...please! if you're planning to get the bike out of the garage this weekend and you have a quick sexy look at that cloth cap ....leave it where it is and proudly stick on your helmet. For those who do ponce around in a cloth caps - get yourself down to Truama when you can.....it may just help.

Rant over!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh god not another thread on helmets. :wacko:

PS I wear one, but let's not get started on this old chestnut !

:popcorn:

Canrider

Guru
His helmet (high end MET) split into three pieces (it looked nasty) and his skull was cracked in a C shape.
Helmets absorb impact through the crushing of their foam construction. A helmet that snaps is undergoing brittle fracture rather than crushing, with little energy absorption by the material.

Alun

Guru
N_a, you paint a grim picture what can happen when wearing a helmet! I'm not sure that was your intention, though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Helmets absorb impact through the crushing of their foam construction. A helmet that snaps is undergoing brittle fracture rather than crushing, with little energy absorption by the material.
Perhaps it crushed, then snapped? :whistle:

I don't normally get involved in helmet threads, but I think I might start one of my own ...

Nantmor

BUT BUT!! man what is ongoing with the debate about the pros and cons of wearing a helmet or not?

Honestly, I am trying to take on board the alternative view about not wearing a helmet. But let me once again take this this back to the trauma unit I can not think of one occasion where I thought the patient would have been ''better off'' [ROFL] without a helmet no matter what the scenario.
cant even paint one in my head never mind dealing with the reality.

Yeah sorry, I'm feeling hot under the collar about this. I suppose I'm just dumbfounded that the cycling community are not 100% united in a single message.

You make it plain that you have no understanding of the anti helmet case. If you want to remedy that you could have a good look at http://www.cyclehelmets.org/.

Reading through that would give you an idea of why many cyclists disagree with you. It would also save a lot of fractious postings on this forum.
All I will say is that if helmets worked it would be very easy to prove. Any country which had a large and rapid increase in wearing would have a corresponding decrease in head injuries. It would be plain as a "mattress balancing on a bottle of wine." The countries where helmets have been made compulsory had this rapid increase in wearing. Head injury rates did not decrease. Here is a link to a report of the latest study to show this. http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1207.html?NKey=81 The report gives links to the New Zealand Medical Journal where the study was published.
In this forum many people seem to think it boring or bad form or aggressive etc.etc. to discuss helmets and compulsion. I hope my post here is sufficiently sober to pass without too much censure. I do feel strongly that helmets are a bad thing for cycling.
The question to me is this. Do we want to try for a cycling culture like Denmark, Netherlands and other countries with high rates of cycling, low rates of helmet wearing and low cycle accident rates? Or do we want to model ourselves on USA, NZ and Australia which have low cycling rates, high helmet wearing rates and high accident rates for cyclists?

Linford

Are you suggesting that compulsion leads to risk compensation, and non helmet wearers are more naturally cautious Nantmor ?

Nantmor

Are you suggesting that compulsion leads to risk compensation, and non helmet wearers are more naturally cautious Nantmor ?
I wasn't suggesting any explanation. The failure of compulsion to cut cyclist head injury rates is an observable fact.
Risk compensation is how we deal with a world with dangers and rewards, and not a one off way of adapting to, say, helmet use. If you are interested, http://www.john-adams.co.uk/ is the site of a prominent writer on the subject of risk. I strongly recommend John Adams's book "Risk". It galvanised my view of the subject, which is one we are all practical experts on.

girovago

Oh, this James Cracknell? (after his crash)
article-0-0BB45ACF00000578-518_468x648.jpg

How many serious head injuries do you see in motor vehicle passengers/drivers? Do you advise them to wear a helmet?

tyred

Legendary Member
Considering the amount of people who claim a helmet saved their lives and relatively low level of cyclist head injuries in the first place, can we conclude that people who wear helmets crash more than those who don't or wear a helmet to compensate for their lack of cycling skills:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom