I hold my head in despair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
So Im in many a cycling club and have never owned a car and have been cycling since 6 years old. So thats about 35 years. OK , seriously cycling for 20 years and VERY rarely do I wear a helmet

Noahs_arc

Admits to have been only cycling 6 months and has about 6 post on this here forum and does a essay on helmet wearing.

WHAT ! ???????????????????????????? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

col

Legendary Member
1727930 said:
I'm not sure why you are insisting on this specific point but yes here is a story about a motorist who hit his head on the floor and died as a consequence
http://www.google.com/m/url?client=...YQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEUSLlOc-i5n90PcUjtQwqz_2cU6w
Im not you are^_^ But why would a driver wear a helmet in his home, so the obvious thing would be if he was sat in his car, which you said earlier, get a campaign going for helmets in cars, your words.^_^

col

Legendary Member
1727946 said:
No you were insisting that the driver hit their head on the floor. People in cars acquire head injuries hitting on lots of things, mostly inside their cars.
Either way though there are real risks of head injuries in all sorts of activities but it is always the cycling that people think of for helmet compulsion and I would love for someone to explain why this should be.
Maybe because its so easy to hit your head if you fall off, cos you can fall off. Its unlikely your gonna fall off a car while sat inside.^_^

col

Legendary Member
1727946 said:
No you were insisting that the driver hit their head on the floor. People in cars acquire head injuries hitting on lots of things, mostly inside their cars.
Either way though there are real risks of head injuries in all sorts of activities but it is always the cycling that people think of for helmet compulsion and I would love for someone to explain why this should be.
I wasnt insisting either, I asked the question, tsk tsk you do try to change things dont you?:laugh:

col

Legendary Member
1727959 said:
Nevertheless every year a number of people acquire head injuries when traveling in a car. I don't see anyone shouting for them to have to wear a helmet though. Do you have any idea why that is?
Some people get head injuries in the house too, oh and in bed, oh and on ice. Can you enlighten me ?

col

Legendary Member
I think your forgetting I asked a question origionally, now your expecting me to answer yours :laugh:

col

Legendary Member
You said.......
Tell you what, you get a campaign to make helmets compulsory in cars going and then we'll talk about it some more. Deal?

So I said.......
Are drivers going to fall and bang their heads?

Then you started asking me questions, come on A you can see your misunderstanding cant you?:thumbsup:

Herbie

Veteran
I'm new to cycling (6 months) and often use this forum for 'hints and tips' and I respect the views of the cyclists that come on here and post their thoughts!

BUT BUT!! man what is ongoing with the debate about the pros and cons of wearing a helmet or not? This is p***ing me off. I see the thread/subject has been active for a while now.

We all know that we see these seasoned bikers riding around parading in some pseudo retro Italian cloth cap. Looks cool? I don't think so! Is this image telling kids (and other confused folk) that it's acceptable NOT to wear a helmet? It kinda does, doesn't it!? If he can, I can!?

I cant give out much advice about cycling, but one thing I can advise on is wearing a helmet. I work for the NHS, in and around one of the six major trauma centres in London, ....yes we get all kind of head injuries (some bloke painting the O2 falls off his ladder bang he lands on his head). Closer to home, earlier in the week we had a 32 year old male, established biker, commutes to work, on his usual route and approaching a mini-roundabout an elderly gentleman in his car pulls out on the cyclist <bang> the bike hits the car head on (no swerve or reaction time possible) the momentum has flipped the cyclist into the air who then lands full on to his helmet and shoulder, his helmet took the full impact. The car had a massive dent in the bonnet (I was told by the ambulance team). His helmet (high end MET) split into three pieces (it looked nasty) and his skull was cracked in a C shape. So he was rushed into the trauma unit to initially stem and relieve the internal bleeding and to, bottom-line, save his life! Spine ok?

Now we normally just get on with the job, but you only come to realise how lucky this bloke was making the choice of wearing a helmet when you see the relief in his wife's eyes when she realises that her husband was still alive. Then ..the tough subject surfaces, 'we're not too sure at this stage if your husband will be brain damaged' or suffer any other neurological effects. Hmmm.

So what I'm trying to say is, yes its OK for you to make the choice yes or no. But when you make that call, also remember close family and friends who might be left with a brain damaged partner! Will they (and you) be happy to spoon feed you during the recovery period!?
Honestly, I am trying to take on board the alternative view about not wearing a helmet. But let me once again take this this back to the trauma unit I can not think of one occasion where I thought the patient would have been ''better off'' [ROFL] without a helmet no matter what the scenario. I cant even paint one in my head never mind dealing with the reality.

Yeah sorry, I'm feeling hot under the collar about this. I suppose I'm just dumbfounded that the cycling community are not 100% united in a single message. That's life I suppose!

So just for me ...please! if you're planning to get the bike out of the garage this weekend and you have a quick sexy look at that cloth cap ....leave it where it is and proudly stick on your helmet. For those who do ponce around in a cloth caps - get yourself down to Truama when you can.....it may just help.

Rant over!!

Totally agree...i never used to wear a helmet in my young and fearless days [what was i thinking?] now that i'm a wee bit older i never cycle without a helmet...its crazy not to

col

Legendary Member
OK, then, if we must...

No, drivers bang their heads inside cars in many ways but they are not, generally, going to fall to the floor.
You must you must, why does that remind me of blazing saddles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom