I hold my head in despair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do eggs come in egg boxes?

Because under EU regulations, hens have been specially bred to lay eggs of the correct dimensions.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I'm new to cycling (6 months) and often use this forum for 'hints and tips' and I respect the views of the cyclists that come on here and post their thoughts!

BUT BUT!! man what is ongoing with the debate about the pros and cons of wearing a helmet or not? This is p***ing me off. I see the thread/subject has been active for a while now.

We all know that we see these seasoned bikers riding around parading in some pseudo retro Italian cloth cap. Looks cool? I don't think so! Is this image telling kids (and other confused folk) that it's acceptable NOT to wear a helmet? It kinda does, doesn't it!? If he can, I can!?

I cant give out much advice about cycling, but one thing I can advise on is wearing a helmet. I work for the NHS, in and around one of the six major trauma centres in London, ....yes we get all kind of head injuries (some bloke painting the O2 falls off his ladder bang he lands on his head). Closer to home, earlier in the week we had a 32 year old male, established biker, commutes to work, on his usual route and approaching a mini-roundabout an elderly gentleman in his car pulls out on the cyclist <bang> the bike hits the car head on (no swerve or reaction time possible) the momentum has flipped the cyclist into the air who then lands full on to his helmet and shoulder, his helmet took the full impact. The car had a massive dent in the bonnet (I was told by the ambulance team). His helmet (high end MET) split into three pieces (it looked nasty) and his skull was cracked in a C shape. So he was rushed into the trauma unit to initially stem and relieve the internal bleeding and to, bottom-line, save his life! Spine ok?

Now we normally just get on with the job, but you only come to realise how lucky this bloke was making the choice of wearing a helmet when you see the relief in his wife's eyes when she realises that her husband was still alive. Then ..the tough subject surfaces, 'we're not too sure at this stage if your husband will be brain damaged' or suffer any other neurological effects. Hmmm.

So what I'm trying to say is, yes its OK for you to make the choice yes or no. But when you make that call, also remember close family and friends who might be left with a brain damaged partner! Will they (and you) be happy to spoon feed you during the recovery period!?
Honestly, I am trying to take on board the alternative view about not wearing a helmet. But let me once again take this this back to the trauma unit I can not think of one occasion where I thought the patient would have been ''better off'' [ROFL] without a helmet no matter what the scenario. I cant even paint one in my head never mind dealing with the reality.

Yeah sorry, I'm feeling hot under the collar about this. I suppose I'm just dumbfounded that the cycling community are not 100% united in a single message. That's life I suppose!

So just for me ...please! if you're planning to get the bike out of the garage this weekend and you have a quick sexy look at that cloth cap ....leave it where it is and proudly stick on your helmet. For those who do ponce around in a cloth caps - get yourself down to Truama when you can.....it may just help.

Rant over!!

I really worry when I read stuff like the above. I'm worried about the number of people in the NHS who are arrogant enough to believe that their little sliver of experience is so much more worthy of belief than the world of science stacked against them. :-(

martynjc1977

Veteran
Same shoot different week, My partner and mother of my child works in the NHS (Staff Nurse). She spent a long time working in the local brain injury unit, yet she does not try and force me or our son to wear helmets.

Same shoot different week, My partner and mother of my child works in the NHS (Staff Nurse). She spent a long time working in the local brain injury unit, yet she does not try and force me or our son to wear helmets.

Because unlike the OP there are those of use who believe in things like "Evidence Based Practice" and have professional standards that we apply to our work.

Noah's Arc is the worst kind oh Healthcare "Unprofessional" who abuses his position to impose their personal and unsubstantiated agenda.

Bman

Guru
If someone were to pay me a 5 figure sum, I'd advocate helmet use too!

Dan_h

On Friday I crashed. I dropped my bike going over 20 mph into a roundabout. I was not wearing a helmet. I am not dead. At that speed my head hit nothing. I damaged my knee, my arm, my shoulder, scraped my face. None of this would have been different if I were wearing a helmet. Still people insist that I ought to have been wearing a helmet. The only thing I can figure out from this is that the grip of a Giant PR3 front tyre is increased by wearing a helmet as that is the only way that a helmet may have helped!

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
My cousin is a panel beater and spends a long time jigging cars back together, I woudn't rely on him for advice on how not to get the car damaged in the first place.

thelawnet

We all know that we see these seasoned bikers riding around parading in some pseudo retro Italian cloth cap. Looks cool? I don't think so! Is this image telling kids (and other confused folk) that it's acceptable NOT to wear a helmet? It kinda does, doesn't it!? If he can, I can!?

I cant give out much advice about cycling, but one thing I can advise on is wearing a helmet. I work for the NHS, in and around one of the six major trauma centres in London, ....yes we get all kind of head injuries (some bloke painting the O2 falls off his ladder bang he lands on his head). Closer to home, earlier in the week we had a 32 year old male, established biker, commutes to work, on his usual route and approaching a mini-roundabout an elderly gentleman in his car pulls out on the cyclist <bang> the bike hits the car head on (no swerve or reaction time possible) the momentum has flipped the cyclist into the air who then lands full on to his helmet and shoulder, his helmet took the full impact. The car had a massive dent in the bonnet (I was told by the ambulance team). His helmet (high end MET) split into three pieces (it looked nasty)

While I won't bother with the usual points about repeating the accident withut a helmet, cracking vs. compression, etc., to me the most telling thing here is that you mention that the helmet is a 'high end MET'.

There's no evidence at all that a high-end helmet is better than a cheap one. In fact, as they are often designed to be lighter, or more aerodynamic, they might well be less effective than a cheap Argos job.

Shows how much this helmet stuff goes on faith.

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet
yup wearing a helemt would of prevented every single one if these(except the ones wearing helmets in which case they didnt happen) :laugh:

I have been looking at this thread and this one

The similarities of appearing, posting tripe, and not having the common decency to answer when the blatant flaws are pointed out , accompanied by a total lack of knowledge about helmets and how they function have led me to a conclusion

Noah's Arc is n fact Titan Yer Tummy AICMFP

Cycloslalomeur

Good on her. In September 2010 I rammed a Focus Estate at a brisk commuting speed. My hip and legs took most of the impact, with my right femur smashing through the acetabulum, but I also hit my jaw into the car's tailgate and lost consciousness. As soon as I came to everybody started tutting over my lack of helmet (as always I looked dead sexy in my silly Italian cap you see): passers-by, police, ambulance crew, then A&E nurses, doctors, radiologist, even the bloke who drove a pin through my femur. The notable exception was the orthopaedic surgeon who actually fitted some steel plates and screws into my hip to put it back together again. In my native Finland cardiac surgeons like to refer to themselves as plumbers (vascular) and electricians (nerves) in a hint that theirs is just a manual trade not unlike any other albeit a highly paid one. I suppose the orthopaedic surgeon thought of himself as a joiner then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom