I hold my head in despair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If everyone one wore helmets, not just cyclists, I mean everyone, (even TV presenters as you never know, a studio light might fall on their head). Then there will be no more head injuries in the world. FACT!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I wear a helmet, but I find it highly offensive when motorists, insurance companies, police and the media claim that by not wearing a helmet you are to blame for any kind of incident on the road, even if it does not involve your head.

HovR

Über Member
tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

col

Legendary Member
1728193 said:
Fine. Please to be backing off with the unsubstantiated "crazy not to" stuff then.
Its an opinion, Stop being so touchy, I dont mind the term as I probably am for not wearing a helmet.:thumbsup:

Herbie

Veteran
1728193 said:
Fine. Please to be backing off with the unsubstantiated "crazy not to" stuff then.

Its all about personal choice wearing helmets at the end of the day...i was just lucky nowt happened to me in my non wearing days..i know guys that would have had worse injuries if they had not been wearing lids..still think its daft not to wear one but as said...personal choice eh

Herbie

Veteran
1728086 said:
Agreed, sometimes I choose to wear a helmet and sometimes I chose not to. It depends on what I'm riding. Noah's Ark and Herbie however have crossed the line and decided to tell us all what we should do. Different game.

Folk can wear what they bloody well like on their heids for all i care...its there funeral...i just make sure my nappers got a chance of protection in case of getting a dunt.

colly

Re member eR
I always wear a helmet, except for when I am not wearing one. Sometimes. Or not.

Norm

This evening, I wore my helmet on the road for the first time in about 4 months. I was amazed how much wind-noise it generates - I could barely hear my ipod over the din. :giggle:

machew

Veteran
1727912 said:
Are you suggesting that people in cars don't sustain head injuries?
The last crash I had in a car was a head-on. The airbag went off and I still hit the windscreen with my head (and yes I was wearing a seat-belt). If I the forces of the crash were any higher, I may have had head injures (the fact I now ride a recumbent Trike may point to the fact that I did indeed suffer brain damage ^_^)

Cycloslalomeur

Not at all. I have known people to be convinced by the facts and to change their mind. There is certainly a tendency for all discussions like this to entrench the two sides. I do not think that is a good reason to leave contentious subjects alone. The different sides are exposed to the arguments of the other, and if they have any intellectual integrity this can only be a learning process.
I sometimes have the unworthy suspicion that trying to suppress discussion is a way of avoiding exposure to unwelcome truth.

+1

Here's somebody who's been convinced by the facts and changed his mind. Tedious though they may well be, helmet threads are far from useless, they serve a very useful purpose indeed. Helmet evangelists will never relinquish their faith, but folks like myself who used to take the 85-88 per cent claim at face value still have hope.

I've cycled everywhere since I was five and when I started my cycling career in the early eighties helmets were a non-issue. The day I could afford one I started prancing about in my silly Italian cap and felt guilty for not wearing a helmet. My personal learning process started when I began to wonder why it was that countries with high cycling rates had rejected compulsion.

These threads are valuable because they expose helmet advocates to the purifying fire of evidence-based inquiry. More often than not what happens is that helmetists resort to scaremongering along the lines of think of your family and loved ones you selfish tw@t, with a liberal sprinkling of Thompson & Rivara & Thompson 1989.

Medics appear to be some of the worst offenders. What makes them think they're qualified to give lectures about impact mechanics, risk compensation etc just because they know how to patch people up?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
This evening, I wore my helmet on the road for the first time in about 4 months. I was amazed how much wind-noise it generates - I could barely hear my ipod over the din. :giggle:
yebbut, nobbut, the cutouts are great for storing your chips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom