I hold my head in despair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good on her. In September 2010 I rammed a Focus Estate at a brisk commuting speed. My hip and legs took most of the impact, with my right femur smashing through the acetabulum, but I also hit my jaw into the car's tailgate and lost consciousness. As soon as I came to everybody started tutting over my lack of helmet (as always I looked dead sexy in my silly Italian cap you see): passers-by, police, ambulance crew, then A&E nurses, doctors, radiologist, even the bloke who drove a pin through my femur. The notable exception was the orthopaedic surgeon who actually fitted some steel plates and screws into my hip to put it back together again. In my native Finland cardiac surgeons like to refer to themselves as plumbers (vascular) and electricians (nerves) in a hint that theirs is just a manual trade not unlike any other albeit a highly paid one. I suppose the orthopaedic surgeon thought of himself as a joiner then...

Not to put you off, but.......

A lot of the tools, and methods are the same!

Putting a reinforcing metal plate on a piece of wood is exactly the same procedure as it is for a bone!

During England's "friendly" match with Holland Chris Smalling was stretchered off with a head injury.

How long can we tolerate this carnage on our football fields?

Surely Helmets should be seriously considered

What I'm trying to say is, yes its OK for you to make the choice yes or no when playing football. But when you make that call, also remember close family and friends who might be left with a brain damaged partner! Will they (and you) be happy to spoon feed you during the recovery period!?

Honestly, I am trying to take on board the view about not wearing a helmet when playing football. But let me once again take this this back to the trauma unit I can not think of one occasion where I thought the patient would have been ''better off'' without a helmet no matter what the scenario. I cant even paint one in my head never mind dealing with the reality.

Yeah sorry, I'm feeling hot under the collar about this. I suppose I'm just dumbfounded that the footballing community are not 100% united in a single message. That's life I suppose!

So just for me ...please! if you're planning to get the boots out and play football this weekend and you have a quick sexy look at that hair style ....and proudly stick on your helmet. For those who do ponce around without - get yourself down to Truama when you can.....it may just help.

Jetfire

So, not wishing to add to this and fan the flames, I havent seen anyone say:

"Wear a helmet has actually caused more damage than good because when I crashed into a speeding hedgehog etc etc".

If its a case of not wearing one because it does more damage, then Id be interested in seeing some stuff on that.

Please note: I understand both sides of the argument here..

1735156 said:
Some people are more easily bought than others.

How right you are..... And how sad it is.....

I'd do it for a four-figure sum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom