I hope he reported him.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd sooner have breakfast on a plate tomorrow rather than administered by a tube. :hungry:
You're far more likely to end up tube fed by encouraging one of these nobbers to attempt an overtake into a blind bend or other obstruction, they then meet oncoming traffic and they choose to sideswipe you rather than collide with the other vehicle. Sideswipes are far more common than being hit from behind.

I've been taking lanes for decades, although I do prefer to avoid high conflict routes where reasonably possible. The result has been occasional honking and maybe one shout a year. No collisions yet.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But he is not a police officer. Its not his job to prevent illegal overtaking.

This all looks a bit fake to me. But if it is real. The cyclist should not have been in the middle of the road and the van driver should be in prison.
With that level of understanding of cycling practices, it's just as well you're not a police officer either :sad:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
looking at that clip. I cannot see how the van overtaking would be dangerous solely because those lines are on the road. We all know that highway authorities put lines on the road in the most stupid of places. Put your hands up if you have never crossed a double white line. The cyclist wasn't stopping a dangerous overtake. He was hogging the centre of the lane.

He was hogging the centre of the lane.
SO WHAT? Someone tried to kill him. Why are you going on about his lane position?

Let's say he was a pedestrian, on a foot path, shouting obscenities at the driver. He shouldn't do that. Do you think that would justify the driver mounting the pavement and trying to mow him down?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But he is not a police officer. Its not his job to prevent illegal overtaking.

This all looks a bit fake to me. But if it is real. The cyclist should not have been in the middle of the road and the van driver should be in prison.
Yep, another 'Ronnie Pickering' type incident to me, I'd love to see what happened before the clip that has been posted.

But I also thouroghly agree with @jefmcg , that van driver should be charged with attempted murder.

View: https://youtu.be/r0dcv6GKNNw

Notice how the moped rider 'winds up' the idiot at the start of the vid.

boydj

Legendary Member
looking at that clip. I cannot see how the van overtaking would be dangerous solely because those lines are on the road. We all know that highway authorities put lines on the road in the most stupid of places. Put your hands up if you have never crossed a double white line. The cyclist wasn't stopping a dangerous overtake. He was hogging the centre of the lane.

An overtake would have been dangerous because of the oncoming traffic.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
An overtake would have been dangerous because of the oncoming traffic.
We don't know how long the saga had been going on. One the traffic had past it would not have been dangerous.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
SO WHAT? Someone tried to kill him. Why are you going on about his lane position?

Let's say he was a pedestrian, on a foot path, shouting obscenities at the driver. He shouldn't do that. Do you think that would justify the driver mounting the pavement and trying to mow him down?

No I don't. But you didn't bother to read my previous post.

sarahale

Über Member
The cyclists does hit the van with his hand when they overtake but perhaps this was more of a self defence action as he felt threatened by their close proximity.

No excuse for what the van driver then decides to do. No good will ever come from driving, or cycling, in a rage.

Cyclist should of moved over and reported van to police for dangerous driving rather than trying to block it himself which I feel was what he was attempting to do. I could be wrong though!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4790255, member: 9609"]I think a great many would be bemoaning his poor shot.

Weird isn't it how being on the highway turns normal principles upside down - even here on a cycling forum some are verging on justifying barging the cyclist out of the way.[/QUOTE]
Sorry @User9609 but I've been all the way back through the thread and can't find anyone suggesting the cyclist being 'barged' out of the way is OK, I've posted that he's a 'self righteous dick' but the van drivers action is inexcusable .

Sorry @User9609 but I've been all the way back through the thread and can't find anyone suggesting the cyclist being 'barged' out of the way is OK, I've posted that he's a 'self righteous dick' but the van drivers action is inexcusable .
It's implicit in the criticisms of his riding.

Time for another patented joan-analogytm

Let's imagine a similar incident where the driver was enraged by the rider's jersey, and let's further stipulate that it is a very ugly paisley pattern consisting of mostly puce and mauve** that no one in their right mind would wear, and we would take surreptitious photos of it if we saw it on the road to share on social media.

If the driver in the video leaned out the window and said "Take off that ugly jersey, you farker" and then pushed the rider off the road with his van, no one here would say (I hope!) "Yes, the driver should go to jail, but the cyclist should not have been wearing that ugly jersey"

The way many posters have been mentioning the riders position in the same "breath' as the assault suggests that those posters feel the rider is partly responsible.

** for real life examples, check some of @Accy cyclist's polls :smile:

Top Bottom