I hope it snows, it snows and snows this winter ........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Shelling out on these tyres allows me to be able to continue getting to work, even when the winter weather is at its worse. Having the day off could mean it eats in to my holiday entitlement or loosing pay, being able to get to work when I wouldn't be able to any other way for 2 days would more than pay for the tyres.

Recycle

Über Member
I've just got marathon winters as well. What worries me now is that I will probably be able to stop quicker than most of the motorised traffic sharing occupying the road with me.

Gareth C

Veteran
Been running Ice Spiker Pro's for the past few years on the MTB. Brilliant round Hamsterley Forest in the deep winters of past years! Schwalbe UK were very good in sending me a bag of spare spikes when I got in touch after a few had pulled out. On deep snow, no use whatsoever - it felt more like skiing on the bike, as I'm sure the tyres never bottomed out.

The official name for these tyres is "kittie killers", after they were delivered to work, and one of the secretaries asked "but what would happen if you ran over a kitten with those on?"

Hawk

Veteran
Is the general consensus that the Snow Studs are less effective than the Ice Spikers then?

I own two Snow Studs, reckon it'd be worth buying maybe a single Ice Spiker? Would it be better front or back..?

Can't wait for winter :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
It's nearly time to put my Marathon Winters back on the hybrid, bought last year but never really needed them.
Rode them once to bed in the studs (failed badly) and once in slushy conditions which weren't ideal.

Norm

Rode them once to bed in the studs (failed badly) and once in slushy conditions which weren't ideal.
Yes, I remember... you pillock. :biggrin:

I have got myself a pair of M-Winters and, because I did take heed of your tale, I'll have a ride or two on tarmac over the next few days. I don't think we'll be getting enough snow to justify them but, for use on icy tracks and paths, I think that I'll be much happier with the studs.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I went for some M+ Tour (700*40) as my current M+ have got quite smooth and I wanted something a little more knobbly for the mud, leaves and maybe snow on the routes I ride and for a bit better grip on trails.

I was so tempted by the Marathon Winters, but I think punctures are a bigger hazard than ice for me. You can get 2 M Winters for £55 on bikediscount.de btw :smile:

potsy

Rambler
Yes, I remember... you pillock. :biggrin:

I have got myself a pair of M-Winters and, because I did take heed of your tale, I'll have a ride or two on tarmac over the next few days. I don't think we'll be getting enough snow to justify them but, for use on icy tracks and paths, I think that I'll be much happier with the studs.
I think I skipped the bit about 'smooth tarmac and no heavy braking' :blush:
Still, Schwalbe were good enough to send me some replacements foc, little buggers to fit though :sweat:

Hawk

Veteran
I think I skipped the bit about 'smooth tarmac and no heavy braking' :blush:
Still, Schwalbe were good enough to send me some replacements foc, little buggers to fit though :sweat:

Did you manage to fit them? How?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokian-Stud-Tool/dp/B0025UINDO works apparently but can't find em anywhere!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Is the general consensus that the Snow Studs are less effective than the Ice Spikers then?
I own two Snow Studs, reckon it'd be worth buying maybe a single Ice Spiker? Would it be better front or back..?

You have this all wrong. You need a refresher course in N+1, then one bike with snow studs for when it snows, and another bike with Ice Spikers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I think you would struggle to tell the difference. Snow studs will be better all round especially any Tarmac. Ice spikes are an off road tyre really, and are more aggressively spiked.

Got snow studs here for all round use, ice, snow, mud and tarmac.

Top Bottom