I hope it snows, it snows and snows this winter ........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres.jpg

Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres, 26" x 1.75, 200 spike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks like they will do the job......

This year we have only had 2 days in London (In Feb) that stopped me cycling to work due to snow.
The main roads are usually very well gritted in London.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Looks like they will do the job......

This year we have only had 2 days in London (In Feb) that stopped me cycling to work due to snow.
The main roads are usually very well gritted in London.

But I'm a country boy now. I am sure Cambs CC will not grit the GBW. In fact I hope they don't as grit is very very corrosive.

Nice. I wonder how many studs you will lose per winter season? Two seasons in I've lost about five from each tyre. Doesn't change the grip but be warned they don't do so well on smooth dusty concrete when taking corners at speed!

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Nice. I wonder how many studs you will lose per winter season? Two seasons in I've lost about five from each tyre. Doesn't change the grip but be warned they don't do so well on smooth dusty concrete when taking corners at speed!

Hopefully none or the odd one. If they lose any more they will be returned for a refund.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
But I'm a country boy now. I am sure Cambs CC will not grit the GBW. In fact I hope they don't as grit is very very corrosive.

You know me Crankers... muck doesn't stay on my bike for long. Especially during the winter.

AndyPeace

View attachment 13934

Schwalbe Marathon Winter 200 spike tyres.

I used these tires in 2010 when we last had proper snow round here. They are marvelous. You do need to bed the studs in b4 riding in the snow, which involves riding carefully at low speed on good roads, though I belive there are other ways. If you don't multiple studs will fall out prematurley. They have worked well for me and are great when crossing ice as well as snow.

That's the Schwalbe Mohican ............
This' Mohican' tire would only be suitable for off road travel! It's a different game to the marathon tire which is made for road use ;) The long spikes need something to bed into, but looks nice and evil :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
Is that tyre a Ice Spiker, not a Marathon Winter?

Retracted, MTB Marathon Winters are different to 700c Marathon Winters,:blush: .

Drago

Legendary Member
That should do the trick! I'm going to try and gut my way through winter in the bike but if we get proper snowfall (I mean the 4+ feet of my youth, not the 8" that the lightweight modern motorist can't handle) then there's the Discovery to fall back on ;)

Top Bottom