I invented Rideye: The Black Box Camera For Cyclists. Ask me anything!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey guys! I’ve spent the last year developing a product which I have recently launched as a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/rideye/rideye-the-black-box-camera-for-your-bike

“Rideye is a black box camera for cyclists. Inspired by the black box in an airplane, it continuously records HD video in a never-ending loop, protecting you from hit-and-runs and false claims. Rideye has crash detection sensors which will detect an accident and protect critical files for future review. It’s incredibly easy to use- just one press of the button turns it on or off. Rideye’s battery lasts 24 hours, easily enough for a full month of commuting.”

The project has been a huge success so far, and with the quantities we are projected to hit, I will be able to add some features requested by the cycling community. I am going on various cycling forums to get an idea of what people want to change about Rideye.

I’d appreciate any and all suggestions or comments! Thank you very much for your time.

Cedric

lukesdad

Got any chocolate teapots for sale ? :laugh:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I know this is fussy, but it's not pretty. Any chance of rounding those square edges?

Tough crowd!

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't contemplate any kind of normal video camera but this isn't so freaky geeky and would be the only reason I might carry a camera. I wouldn't but if I did, this might be it.

I'm with Dellzeqq, too square, why not a rounded housing?

BSRU

A Human Being
Surely a black box recorder needs some way of recording speed and position, i.e. GPS and recording if you are speeding up or slowing down.

OP
OP
C

cedricbosch

Great questions! The mount is a silicone strap that attaches to any size handlebar. I also designed a seatpost and helmet mount for those who are interested.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'm with Dellzeqq, too square, why not a rounded housing?
But its a "black box recorder" so it has to be in a black box, otherwise it would just be another cycle camera, and they're 10 a penny.
That I fear is the biggest problem, it's just another camera, what can this do that another cameras can't?

jugglingphil

Surely a black box recorder needs some way of recording speed and position, i.e. GPS and recording if you are speeding up or slowing down.

That's exactly what I was thinking, needs GPS.
Otherwise I agree a lot with Crackle. I've not wanted a camera before, but would consider this.
I'm worried that my handlebars are already crowded, could I fit more on?
Logo and name are great, looks like you've come a long way and have a good product. Personally I'm not bothered that it's square, although everyone likes rounded edges.

simon.r

Person
Looks good - I'm like others, don't really want a camera but would consider this.

Nit picking, but If you could reduce the weight that would be good.

simon.r

Person
[QUOTE 2688386, member: 259"]GPS requires a lot of power, so the battery life would be far less.

Roughly how much would they sell for?

As others have said, I would consider one but it's not pretty.[/quote]

$149 according to the website - £100? I'm probably being hopeful on then exchange rate!:rolleyes:

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 2688386, member: 259"]GPS requires a lot of power, so the battery life would be far less.
[/quote]
As an owner of a Contour Plus, a HD camera with GPS I can say "no it does not".

Top Bottom