I invented Rideye: The Black Box Camera For Cyclists. Ask me anything!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smarr5

I've got a Roadhawk camera, both forward and rear facing with a microphone.
I use it in my car and company vehicle as I work alone. I've not used it yet for evidence, but as in the traffic light case above, it would be very handy to prove you're in the right.
Also if you have a little set to with a person of foreign origins and they accuse you of racial abuse, it's all recorded.
Obviously with one of these fitted, you can't drive like a tw@t, so it helps on the fuel economy.

RhythMick

Über Member
Here's what's already on the market from Roadhawk at £149.94.

http://cycle.roadhawk.co.uk/

As with the Rideye, at 720p the ability to record number plates at a reasonable distance isn't there. I'll stick to my Contour HD.

GC
I missed the kickstarter but am going to give this a try.

I've read through the thread. I think some of the comments are a bit harsh but that's because the OP pushed the angle of this being a black box recorder. It's not. It's a cycle camera with some features that make it very interesting in my opinion. In particular the battery life (roadhawk is 90 mins at best). Looping recording - tick. H.264 compression. Price seems reasonable. Accelerometer saves recording in event of accident.

Will report back of course.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I missed the kickstarter but am going to give this a try.

I've read through the thread. I think some of the comments are a bit harsh but that's because the OP pushed the angle of this being a black box recorder. It's not. It's a cycle camera with some features that make it very interesting in my opinion. In particular the battery life (roadhawk is 90 mins at best). Looping recording - tick. H.264 compression. Price seems reasonable. Accelerometer saves recording in event of accident.

Will report back of course.

I've got one of these in my car.

It's small, remarkably well-equipped, and more what a black box gadget should be; with GPS, looping, no gaps between files, G sensor, automatic file protection etc. All for less than £60. If I could get that for the bike, I'd be very happy.

GC

B
But its a "black box recorder" so it has to be in a black box, otherwise it would just be another cycle camera, and they're 10 a penny.
That I fear is the biggest problem, it's just another camera, what can this do that another cameras can't?

Black boxes are usually bright orange to allow for ease of location!

Top Bottom