I invented Rideye: The Black Box Camera For Cyclists. Ask me anything!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But its a "black box recorder" so it has to be in a black box, otherwise it would just be another cycle camera, and they're 10 a penny.
That I fear is the biggest problem, it's just another camera, what can this do that another cameras can't?
I guess the difference is the never-ending loop, battery life and the whole crash detection idea and presumably a housing which will take an impact. Add in GPS or/and ant+/bluetooth for Garmin/phone/other connection and it's not a bad old idea. Nearly fit and forget.

Linford

Nice to see someone with a bit of vision.

Now a couple of things I'd look to investigate with this cam is (as the others have said. Round the corners. I take it the thing is an early prototype in a prototyping case.
I'm an ally extrusion tool designer by trade, and so for toughness, cost per unit, and ease of manufacture, I'd say seriously consider extruding the shell out of ally. Ally shells can have PCB slots and heatsink profiles shaped in them. We do a significant amount of work for this stuff.
You only then have to get the end caps moulded.

Also, I'd say you really want to look at using a 360 degreee lens system similar to this

10D_mounted2.jpg

Last edited:

Linford

Come on guys, at least he is having a go at addressing the technical issues. Imo,it needs a bit more development like any early gadget to improve the execution, but in principle it is a very sensible idea. I'd be interested to see the next incarnation of it....what is the low light capability of it like btw?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
it continuously records HD video in a never-ending loop, protecting you from hit-and-runs and false claims.

What prevents it from overwriting footage you may wish to keep?
For example.... I'm riding home, a passing car clips my bars and I fall off.... I'm able to continue my journey but want to keep the footage as evidence. Am I able to contine using the camera, or is there a possibility my data will be overwritten?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What prevents it from overwriting footage you may wish to keep?
For example.... I'm riding home, a passing car clips my bars and I fall off.... I'm able to continue my journey but want to keep the footage as evidence. Am I able to contine using the camera, or is there a possibility my data will be overwritten?

In his opening message he wrote:

Rideye has crash detection sensors which will detect an accident and protect critical files for future review.
GC

Linford

Am trying to figure if the appearance here was to peddle the prospect, than get some meaningful feedback....

U

User6179

Come on guys, at least he is having a go at addressing the technical issues. Imo,it needs a bit more development like any early gadget to improve the execution, but in principle it is a very sensible idea. I'd be interested to see the next incarnation of it....what is the low light capability of it like btw?

I have invented eyebanana , its a banana in a box with hunger detectors , are you interested?

Top Bottom