I just can't win.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kernel gadaffi

I've been on a diet for a few months with the help of my doctor, I've only lost 3.5 kilos since March but thats because my doctor wants to control the loss so I don't drop the weight off too quickly and cause myself problems, a big problem I have is the medication I'm taking, Tramadol and Paracetamol for back pain, Naproxen for arthritis, Lisinopril and Bendroflumethiazide for blood pressure, Omeprazole for reflux and Capsaicin cream for knee pain, so yes, I'm falling to bits!
I've been sticking to the food I've been told to eat and drink, brown bread, fish, pulses and beans, chicken, pasta, plenty of fruit and veg, you know the score, as well as keeping off the fatty stuff.
I stocked up on fruit teas to drink hot or cold with ice, the ones with lemon and ginger taste the best to me, but regardless of what I eat or drink, I have hardly any energy, I'm only doing short rides at the moment, up to 20 miles, averaging 10mph and if I go 10 miles from home, I'm struggling to do the last 5 miles on the return leg. I have porridge with blueberries or banana before a ride and take a flapjack and an energy drink with me.
My doctor bombshelled me today when she told me to keep off the fruit as it exaserbates the the effects of the arthritis:wacko: I'm now at a loss as to what to eat and drink, it's doing my head in.:cursing:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I wish I had the answer, it sounds like you're making a huge effort!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

Falwheeler

Hi Kernel, sounds like you have your diet sorted, although 3.5 kilos since March isn't very much. I found certain foods made things worse. Dairy, cheese in particular really caused me big problems. I don't know what sort of arthritis you have but some can cause serious fatigue. I suffer from Psoriatic Arthritis with fatigue being a recognised symptom, I'm on Humira, Leflulomide and Diclofenac for the arthritis and Lisinopril for blood pressure. New meds at the end of last year meant I started to feel much better so set myself some goals, including the Dartmoor Classic. I lost over a stone and finished the Classic, not a great time but just pleased to finish so it can be done. I'm lucky my GP and consultant are both keen cyclist so I get good support. Have you seen a consultant rheumatologist if not see if you can get a referral from your GP or maybe see a proper dietician. If all else fails change your GP. I changed my rheumatologist to great effect

OP
OP
K

kernel gadaffi

I'm booked in to see a dietician tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get an insight into the better foods to eat, I have osteo-arthritis, inherited from my mother, although it's taken 50 years to manifest itself in me, she started with it in her late 30s, she died aged 82 and the last 20 years weren't exactly good for her. Apart from being 51, 16 stone with a dicky back, osteo-arthritis, high blood pressure, bald, fat and ugly:blush: , I also have to get about with a below knee prosthetic leg, so that slows me down a great deal, hence I can only manage 10mph average, it also doesn't help that there are days when I just can't get comfortable in the leg or on the bike.
I'm awaiting another appointment to see a rheumatologist after having a scan on my neck a few weeks ago, I'm also awaiting surgery on my right arm, as my physio reckons I have a ligament to the left of my elbow thats in the wrong place and he hasn't been able to move it by manipulation. I've had a word with a friend who is an aerobics instructor and she told me that some people with osteo-arthritis do have problems with citric acid affecting their joints and some don't, but, I'll continue to try and find a solution that works for me, till then, I'll keep at it.

Falwheeler

Bloody hell Kernel, thought i suffered but you do well to get out of bed, hats off to you. I hope you can get sorted but get things in perspective, your average punter couldn't think of cycling even a few miles, enjoy what you can do when you can. Elimination diets are supposed to be good at eliminating bad foods but I never had the patients for all that. I'm also 16 stone and I'm sure weight loss would make a huge difference to both our situations. Good luck and best wishes

OP
OP
K

kernel gadaffi

I managed to get out for a ride today, the first one for 30 days:eek:, I'd clocked up 10 miles in the first hour sipping Powerade as I went and felt OK, so I carried on to a small village, three miles further on, now I've never ridden on this road but have traveled it in the car on many an occasion, I didn't realise how bad it was for me, not steep as such, but it felt like the climb was never ending and there were some awkward little corners, it took me 39 minutes to do the three miles and I was well and truly goosed when I stopped, I drank a full bottle of High Five and ate a meusli bar, 20 minutes later my heart rate had settled down and I'd filled up my bottles with water from the pub, I managed to do the 12.99 miles home in 43 minutes and allthough there was a little bit of downhill, the wind was in my face the whole time.
I'm hurting now though, legs, lower back, neck and have a stinking headache, but I do feel like I've achieved something.

Here's to the next ride out.

Falwheeler

It can only get easier :thumbsup:

It's probably the tramadol (from my experience). I was on it for +15 years and have only recently managed to handle the pain (nerves were severed by op in the end to assist - probably not feasible with a back, but good with a wrist :whistle: ) and am much better off it, but know for that +15 years there was little I could manage without it.

One thing I did notice was the difference between the generic tramadol and the brand Zydol. Which are you on? I managed to talk my GP into keeping me on the more expensive Zydol which gave better pain relief and caused me less side effects, therefore I took about 2/3rd's of the dose and felt much better than the other generic stuff. Generally they are much happier if you take much less of it, so you may talk you GP in to giving you a month's supply to trial it if you are on the generic stuff. (It was my pain management consultant that put me on the Zydol brand in the first place, rather than generic, so it might be worth a try.)

OP
OP
K

kernel gadaffi

The Tramadol I'm currently taking is made by Bristol Laboratories, they make me sleepy but if I feel I'm drifting off, I get out of the chair and move about, but I'll ask my GP about the Zydol.

Top Bottom