I just don't know what to do with myself....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Not that I expect to find the answer here, but maybe writing things down will help or I may even find a pearl of wisdom from the forum!

Left the forces last year and decided I wanted a change. Having once had the chance to help out in the classroom I thought I wanted to be a teacher. Enrolled in Uni, entry to year 2. Finished the year.

Now if I follow this route, I'll finish the degree in another 2 years, 1 year pgce, leave with a student debt of approx £15000, and the mortgage I have on the house will have 2 years to run.

But, Soapbox Mode On - in the past year, I've seen my son develop the Kevin syndrome - everything is boring, he's too cool for school so has left (before he was thrown out) and I've come to realize that actually, I don't want to teach a class full of Kevins! (I could write a good rant on soapbox about this!) Soapbox Mode Off

So, I've started thinking of dropping out of Uni (at this point I'm going to mention that I recieved the prize for best 2nd year student in chosen subject)and going back to work in my previous field.

Doing this means moving house to find work, and also increasing the morgatge to run for another 20 or so years from now OR living apart from my wife and working away.

Well that's it really, like I said......

I just don't know what to do with myself......... da da dum....

Bigtallfatbloke

Follow your heart...not your head. JMHO

Peyote

It sounds like you know your stuff in the subject you're studying so I'd probably stick it out just so you've got another qualification (they always come in handy!).

I'm not sure it's fair to think of all kids as being like Kevin, that's a bit like saying all adults are like Bonj! Sure you get the arrogant, selfish ones, but you'll also get the interested, enthusiastic ones too. In my (very limited) experience the Kevin-syndrome doesn't seem to last that long in most teenagers anyway.

wafflycat

Having a degree is exceedingly useful, even if you don't work in the field your degree is in, having a degree can and does open doors of opportunity that remain firmly shut if you don't have a degree.

Remember too, not all teenagers are 'Kevins' There's an awful lot out there who are very motivated and want to do well in their exams in order to be able to go on and do what they want to do in life. Plus, how many of us can remember not only that 'evil PE teacher' at school making us run crosscountry runs in the middle of a cold winter, but can also remember the teacher who inspired us and made his/her subject fun and interesting, with a love of subject that has remained with us for the rest of our lives? I know I have.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I know how you feel. Nearing the end of funding for my PhD, I don't know if I want to do what I'd originally planned - stay in academia. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't. I don't know what I do want to do though. I'm just sort of hoping something interesting will turn up. Also, I'm unhindered by dependents, so it's just up to me.

Of course, not all kids turn into Kevins. And whether they do, well, that might actually hang on how well you teach. You have the chance to be the person that gets a kid interested in the subject... I know what you mean, I do some teaching, Uni students and there are always a few who you wonder why they are there - of course at school it's worse, they have to be there... But when yoou get one or two who really pick up on a subject, take an interest, that's when it becomes worthwhile... Or you might get a job in a nice private school...:biggrin: Or a nice state one for that...

I'd stick with the degree. You may regret it if you chuck it in, and if you are doing that well, you must be enjoying the study and subject? Mature students are a godsend to any department - all the ones I just gave good reports to after the fieldwork term were mature...

Finally, I simply don't think about my student loan (if that's the debt you mean). When I get a job that pays well enough, it'll start to pay off. I don't let it worry me, like other debt would. I know it's easier me, no mortgage to think of (and little prospect of affording one), and no family. But you've come this far, made the jump, which can be the hardest part. I'd stick it out for now.

And ex-forces? You ought to have discipline in the classroom licked!:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Follow your heart...not your head. JMHO

What - kick the teenager out, get a touring bike and spend a few years biking around the world :biggrin:

No, not re-join the army, I'm time served and pensioned off! Telecomms.

Subject is Physics.

fuzzy29

Compare the grief you get from a few kids to having to sit in a board room trying to win the contact that keeps your company going. There is stress with any job, you just need to decide if it is right for you.

PS. The country will always need teachers.

monnet

Guru
Teachings not as bad as you might think. If you're good with kids it'll be worth while. I've not taught in UK state schools but I have taught in state schools elsewhere in Europe as well as and language acadamies and I can tell you it's rewarding.

If you're good with discipline (firm, fair and never lose your rag) the kids will, in all likelihood respect you. I always found it really rewarding when the annoying clown/ class idiot/ thug related to something you said and you could see them change over the year. The only really bad kids I've ever come across were a group of Czech orphans who were at a summer school and had so many personal problems it defied belief.

If you do your PGCE an serve your time in the UK you can then get work at international schools. Depends on your personal morals but if you can handle teaching the elite the return for you is better behaved kids, great lifestyle (sometimes tax free) and the freedom to choose your location in the world.

Regardless, if you do decide teaching isn't for you, stick with the degree - physics is a popular one with all those city accountancy firms. See you're thinking of teaching again aren't you?

ChrisKH

Guru
'Follow your heart' and you'll be happy but poor. You've invested a year I'd say stick it out and what everyone else has said (but especially the long vacation time for teachers!).

Contrast this with my wife and I; she followed her heart and went into travel (Personnel Manager for well know travel firm) and went all over the world delaying children etc, as she wanted a (not very well paid) career with travel. Now looking to re-start her career based around the teaching year as the kids will be dependant for the next 5-10 years and can't find anything she can do 'part-time'. She could replace me as the breadwinner (yay!) but she doesn't have the necessary skills to out-earn me despite being more academic. Not happy. Won't consider teaching, despite having obvious qualities for it.

Me, went for the money and spent my life working for tosspots. Got the money but now wants time off with the kids but can't as I'm the breadwinner. Not happy.

Life's a bitch sometimes; can't seem to see change happening unless either of us completely bucks the system. In some respects you are in a good position as you are being forced to decide. Inerita and apathy otherwise rules, OK?

derosa

Can see where the son gets his attitude from. Seems you can't stick at anything you set out to do. Take the easy option and give up.
Or you could knuckle down, get a quality degree and do something with your life - teaching's not the only option once you have your degree.

Arch

Married to Night Train
derosa said:
Can see where the son gets his attitude from. Seems you can't stick at anything you set out to do. Take the easy option and give up.
Or you could knuckle down, get a quality degree and do something with your life - teaching's not the only option once you have your degree.

That's a little harsh - he'd already made a huge leap going to Uni, after a career in the forces, and he must be working hard to be doing so well. We all have doubts sometimes...

Blonde

Wow - Physics! Definitely stick out the degree if your circumstances allow, unless you absolutely hate it. Any degree has got to be useful but I know that there aren't anough good sciences graduates. IMO you are onto a good thing after graduation, as you will have the best of both worlds - a degree as well as a disciplined, mature and experienced approach to work. Your CV will be crammed with all kinds of transferable skills and experiece, useful for many careers, not just teaching!

Big Bren

All the teachers I know talk about teaching as if it's the hardest job in the world - they are notable however, in that they're all perpetual students who have never left academia and consequently have no clue about the real world of work.

I reckon if you become a teacher later in life after doing a real job, it'll feel like easy street; I'm sure it can sometimes be demanding and stressful, but hey, getting half the year off might just help you deal with that!

Bren

Top Bottom