I just got scalped by an MTB on my Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Was pootling along a flat section at 16.5 mph and got overtaken by an MTB...doing 30 mph!

And he was hardly pedaling.

Now, make of it what you will but let's just say the downtube was big.

Just jealous, he was absolutely flying.

How long does the charge last on one of those things.

Lonestar

Veteran
Doesn't sound legal.I know they are quite fast though.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This one does 50mph apparently; https://www.eta.co.uk/2013/01/30/50mph-electric-bicycle-for-commuting/

stealth.jpg

And no, it's not UK legal but possibly EU legal.

U

User6179

Me and a mate were coming back from a 60 miler on our carbon race jobbies ,we were nearly home when we met a guy on a full suspension mountain bike going up the final climb before the 3 mile descent down to our town , had a wee blether with him then said our farewells as we hit the downhill only to be overtook about a mile from home :blush:

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
this thing was bright green, trying to find a match on the interwebs

Sixmile

Veteran
I remember a similar instance last year when I spotted a MTB up ahead of me on a climb home and I thought I'd push myself abit to catch him before the road ran out. He was away like a whippet and it wasn't till around 1 mile later that I caught him and realised he was on a leccy. If I had the money lying spare I think I'd have one for the days the legs just don't want to commute the hills.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I think I'd have one for the days the legs just don't want to commute the hills

You mean every day?

There's a guy who lives by me who has 'drastically modified' the standard motors on his e bike. It's not a very bright idea. The thing will easily keep up with traffic in a 40 zone, and can keep up with traffic going up a cat 4 climb near me ( 40 limit ). One big problem is that the bike only has standard bike lights on it, they really aren't very bright, the amount of times he's nearly been tagged by vehicles emerging from side roads is scary. Still, rather him than me.

Milzy

Guru
Or just buy a roadie E bike, even faster. Although the assist is only supposed to kick in more the steeper the gradient. Albeit people with a knowledge of electrical engineering could easily modify them. This makes them slightly illegal though.

johnnyb47

Guru
Won't be long before people flying round on these derestricted rigs get the whole lot banned.
That's a good point. I think E bikes will become a victim of there own success..When they eventually fall in price they will inevitably fall into the hands of everyone and I personally think there will be a new craze amongst the teenagers to make these bikes fast modes of transport. It will only end one way. A clamp down on them and spoiling it for the rest of the law abiding community.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's a good point. I think E bikes will become a victim of there own success..When they eventually fall in price they will inevitably fall into the hands of everyone and I personally think there will be a new craze amongst the teenagers to make these bikes fast modes of transport. It will only end one way. A clamp down on them and spoiling it for the rest of the law abiding community.
Law changed May? last year(2016) with regards electric assist. How many did you see before then, and how many since?

You want to go quicker, the Garda are looking to reunite this MTB with it's owner

Top Bottom