I keep falling off!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sutts

I pulled up at a junction, well it was more of a crossroads to turn right, I put my left foot down, there was a car opposite, also turning to his right. I thought he was letting me go, he obviously thought the same, he started to move, I started to move, he braked, I braked, and as I was leaning to the right I only had a split second to get my foot out of the right pedal, not a chance, so I hit the deck, in the middle of a main road, with a car inches from my head, as per original poster.

I stopped wearing the stupid things since that day, as I can't see how it can possibly be safe to be physically attached to a bike in such circumstances...but each to their own, I'm not knocking what others choose to do.

screenman

Legendary Member
I pulled up at a junction, well it was more of a crossroads to turn right, I put my left foot down, there was a car opposite, also turning to his right. I thought he was letting me go, he obviously thought the same, he started to move, I started to move, he braked, I braked, and as I was leaning to the right I only had a split second to get my foot out of the right pedal, not a chance, so I hit the deck, in the middle of a main road, with a car inches from my head, as per original poster.

I stopped wearing the stupid things since that day, as I can't see how it can possibly be safe to be physically attached to a bike in such circumstances...but each to their own, I'm not knocking what others choose to do.

I reckon I could get my foot on the floor in the same amount of time if clipped in or not, the pedals are not at fault.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I wear clipless and have no issue with it. Personally, I think the only advantage with clipless is when you have to stand on the pedals when going up hill or if you want a quick burst of power. You know your feet won't slip on the pedals.

PHL67

Veteran
I love my pedals and if I know I am going to be stopping I unclip prior to stopping. If it is a quick release just one twist and your out. I know how you feel when you fell off as I fell off going up a steep hill a few years ago as I stopped and then fell in the hedge. I had only been using them a couple of weeks. A bit like riding a bike. It takes a few tries and then you will be there.

flats.jpg

?$plp_3_row$.jpg

pin-height2.jpg

any of the above :smile:

Top picture is end of Princes Crescent, Bare, Morecambe

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Top picture is end of Princes Crescent, Bare, Morecambe
it is. I didn't even realise until after posting :blush:

dim

I fell once when I forgot to unclip .... I tried to get a KOM on Strava of a short segment, wind was in my favour and the road was clear (it's a short 0.3km sprint on a -1% downhill, from a roundabout to a roundabout, and I'm close to the top time

Peddled like crazy, (never got the KOM).... got to the roundabout, and there were several cars at the intersections as it was during the pm schoolrun and it was busy

Fell over when I stopped, was breathing heavy and I was knackered ....

I never got hurt, but it sort of happened in slowmo .... you realise that it's too late to unclip as you are falling, and all you are worried about is that you don't damage your bike....

women were rolling down their windows asking me (with a smile on their faces) if I was OK, and their schoolchildren were giggling ... I felt like a real Twat

Never fell again, and I now always remind myself to unclip loooong before I have to ... :blush:

I'd like to get double sided Clipless pedals as I still sometimes fumble trying to find the correct side to clip into ..... I have no probs unclipping though .... and thats both on Look Keo pedals and Simano 105 pedals)

Missp

Gah, don't tell me this :sad: just about to buy my first bike and the last thing I need are scrapes and bruises! Never worn proper cycling shoes before either so it should be fun to say the least!

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't have to wear cycling shoes. Wear whatever you find comfortable depending on where and when you are riding (feet do get cold and wet though).

Falling off isn't inevitable but it does seem to come to most of us eventually

Ride defensively but assertively if on roads, ride considerately, cautiously and carefully if using shared paths etc (peds always have priority over cyclists wherever they are on the path), wear body armour if hooning on a mountain bike

Lights and reflectives on your clothing at night :smile:

Cyclecraft by John Franklin is a really good book (there's another by him but not sure on title, check Amazon). You might also find bike skills training useful

Helmet wear is totally down to you, but I would wear gloves on the bike to protect your hands in case of a fall. They usually hit the ground first and gravel rash on palms really hurts!

Enjoy your cycling :smile:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I fell once when I forgot to unclip .... I tried to get a KOM on Strava of a short segment, wind was in my favour and the road was clear (it's a short 0.3km sprint on a -1% downhill, from a roundabout to a roundabout, and I'm close to the top time

Peddled like crazy, (never got the KOM).... got to the roundabout, and there were several cars at the intersections as it was during the pm schoolrun and it was busy

Fell over when I stopped, was breathing heavy and I was knackered ....

QUOTE]
Why Strava can be a bad thing.

Top Bottom