I keep falling off!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On flat pedals you can use any footwear. Light hiking shoes or boots are good for foul weather. No need for over boots when your boots are waterproof.

freiston

Veteran
I come to a stop and I hit the deck. No amount of planning, practise, training, relaxing, not worrying about it, makes any difference. ... If i unclip approaching the junction or right on it, it doesn't make a differance. This happens about a quarter of the time, another quarter is I get away with it and a half is now in blind terror :wacko:.
Mick.
This is what I don't understand - from what you say, this isn't an issue with unclipping but with staying upright.when stopping. If you unclip on the approach and you still fall over, there is something amiss and it isn't the pedals. I know you say that no amount of practice etc. makes any difference, but unless there is something else going on, I can't see any other way of tackling it.

alicat

Legendary Member
Try riding where there is no traffic and lots of room eg a park. Embrace falling off. Gradually you will work out a way of rising from the saddle and leaning to the left that works for you.

Resolve to stay away from traffic for a couple of months until you have got it licked and it doesn't panic you any more.

Good luck!

Cheers guys, thank you very much ^_^

Looks like it's flats for me then, what do you recommend as I don't have a clue?
The next question is footwear, what shoes do you reckon? I need waterproof ones as the whether don't put me off and I've spent a fortune and got all winter gear, and will be using it.

And no way will I be seen dead on a Tricycle :laugh:

I use Adidas Kumasi XCR Gore Tex hiking trainers.
Super grippy and keep plates 'a meat dry

Edit:No longer available,but the GTX range are one and the same

Last edited:
Have browse through some of the pics on here:-
http://tricycleassociation.org.uk/

Trike riders are well respected.

Case in point in the link really

IMG_3585.JPG

Get some of these.

And some of these ( or similar )

IMG_3586.JPG

The ( multi release ) cleats allow you to step off of the SPD mechanism by lifting your foot upwards, like you would if you were stepping off of a non SPD pedal. No twisting out required, and the comfort and stability of an SPD pedal, with the option of riding as a flat pedal if needs be.

Widge

Baldy Go
I have been (mostly) riding a road bike for the last few years and embrace the ethos.....BUT.......I replaced the ghastly cheap 'get-you-home-from-the-shop' plastic pedals with strapless toe-clips within a week with some minimalist light-weight alloy 'flat' pedals and have never given it a moments thought since.
Deep inside I know I am going against all the Velominati rules....but they work fine..................................I can wear my own choice of trainers (!)-favouring fairly stiff soled weather-proof varieties-and I don't appear to fall off at junctions (much)!

There have been studies done about how great the advantages may be of riding with your feet permanently attached may be and the conclusions appear to be ' Not Much' UNLESS you are an out-and-out racer looking for supreme gain. Go figure?

There is little point in punishing yourself with never-ending off moments when you can just fit a pair of 'touring' flats and get on with it.

There...I've said it!

On the other hand....'REAL' cyclists go commando and clipless!

There...I've said it!!

Go With It (they are only pedals?) Flats are fine. If you still keep falling off then something else is occurring.

All Best

w

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I have been (mostly) riding a road bike for the last few years and embrace the ethos.....BUT.......I replaced the ghastly cheap 'get-you-home-from-the-shop' plastic pedals with strapless toe-clips within a week with some minimalist light-weight alloy 'flat' pedals and have never given it a moments thought since.
Deep inside I know I am going against all the Velominati rules....but they work fine..................................I can wear my own choice of trainers (!)-favouring fairly stiff soled weather-proof varieties-and I don't appear to fall off at junctions (much)!

There have been studies done about how great the advantages may be of riding with your feet permanently attached may be and the conclusions appear to be ' Not Much' UNLESS you are an out-and-out racer looking for supreme gain. Go figure?

There is little point in punishing yourself with never-ending off moments when you can just fit a pair of 'touring' flats and get on with it.

There...I've said it!

On the other hand....'REAL' cyclists go commando and clipless!

There...I've said it!!

Go With It (they are only pedals?) Flats are fine. If you still keep falling off then something else is occurring.

All Best

w

Did you really just say that! ;)

I am very familiar with the Velominati rules, and cannot recall anything about cleats and pedals. Use what works for you.

By the way, you do realise that the Rules are ironic anyway.

Top Bottom