I keep snapping chains!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
How many speed set-up do you have? I always used to split and rejoin 7/8 speed chains this way without any issue (Shimano ones) and didn't suffer broken chains as a result. There is a technique though, and get it wrong at your peril. Since going to 9 speed set-ups I have found the pins are so tight due to being heavily peened that they refuse to cleanly push back into the rear side plate.

Have you read the excellent write up about how the pins work?

How many speed set-up do you have? I always used to split and rejoin 7/8 speed chains this way without any issue (Shimano ones) and didn't suffer broken chains as a result. There is a technique though, and get it wrong at your peril. Since going to 9 speed set-ups I have found the pins are so tight due to being heavily peened that they refuse to cleanly push back into the rear side plate.
I have the 10 speed Shimano at the minute and have used this method on approximately 20 occasions this last year with no ill effect ( I think ). It takes a light touch I'll admit but never had a problem. I then began reading these posts and saw the articles on broken peens and thought what the hell have I been doing. Guess I have been really lucky

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have the 10 speed Shimano at the minute and have used this method on approximately 20 occasions this last year with no ill effect ( I think ). It takes a light touch I'll admit but never had a problem. I then began reading these posts and saw the articles on broken peens and thought what the hell have I been doing. Guess I have been really lucky
I wouldn't change what you are doing if it is working that reliably/repeatably for you.

shadow master

What circumstances does it take to split the chain 20 times in a year????

I wouldn't change what you are doing if it is working that reliably/repeatably for you.
My guess is that it is NOT working reliably. For the re-used pin you fail you have to play a bit of Russian roulette. The compromised link has to the one that bridges from the one sprocket to the other when changing. Remember, there is only one that does the bridging. Then, you have to pedal just a little bit too hard at the moment when that link enters the tension zone on the sprocket, at approximately the 10-to (clockface parlance) position and maintain that pressure until the link comes off the sprocket. The chance of that happening is 1 in 110 (times how often you overpower).

If you don't believe me, examine your chainbreaker's pin. You'll see the rings of broken rivet peens on there, as in my photos.

shadow master

I might seem anal in the reply because God knows my cycling buddies think I am but once a week, usually a Friday evening I completely de gunk the bike. Everything off and everything cleaned. :crazy:
Yeah I suppose I do it about 6 times a year,but I've got an 11speed system with a quick link,and a smartwasher so never seems like a drama!

I might seem anal in the reply because God knows my cycling buddies think I am but once a week / fortnightly, (taking circumstances, seasons and riding conditions into account ) I completely de gunk the bike. Everything off and everything cleaned. :crazy:
Is there another way of doing it?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Forgive me chipping in at this late stage of proceedings (and a chain-breaker virgin too!!!) but if there was damage to the chain ring couldn't that impart damage to the chain in turn? I'd have a good look anyway, probably about 60 degrees anti-clockwise from the crank (300 back from the other crank). It's about at that angle that if the maximum power met the mankiest tooth the chain might be more likely to give up the chase.

U

User6179

I have snapped the same chain about ten times , I keep joining it back together and it keeps snapping !!

Top Bottom