I keep snapping chains!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
He doesn't like that answer....so he's ignoring his own thread!

His loss. If he continues to botch up chains they will continue to snap. The results of this can be quite dangerous.

Surely if a link had been weakened by a 'botched' pin reinsertion, then it'd be that link that would fail under load? The OP explained that it is never the same pin.

OK guys, me included. Let's stop the bullying. The point is made.

I've only ever had one chain snap on me, and that was just after I had taken the bike to Halfords and they had taken it off and put it back on again to repair my jockey wheels...

It is fine but basic.

See if you can't get this one instead. It is a bit more expensive but it is futureproof. 11-speed is coming and even if you never own 11-speed yourself, you one day become a hero to a damsel in distress with an 11-speed bike.

http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/workshop-tools/BTL-55

The attractive features are:

1) The replaceable anvil - the silver for 11-speed, the black for the rest.
2) Nice bulky handle and long crank.
3) Precise setting through the adjusting collar on the press so that you can do the job eyes-closed.
4) Lockable anvil that keeps the chain in place once it is moved into position so that the pin hits the chain rivet on the bull's eye and prevents misalignment.

Just about any other chain breaker will work, including your Topeak, but tools are not mere utility items, they are to be enjoyed as well. Don't forget to lubricate the screw before using.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I am really going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here so forgive me if it seems like I've had a lobotomy but.... when I clean my rear derailment I push the chain pin out till it catches on the rear plate. I then manually break the chain. I then fix it by reinserting the same pin visa versa when having cleaned it. Have I been doing something wrong. Suggestions please if I have :shy:

screenman

Legendary Member
I am really going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here so forgive me if it seems like I've had a lobotomy but.... when I clean my rear derailment I push the chain pin out till it catches on the rear plate. I then manually break the chain. I then fix it by reinserting the same pin visa versa when having cleaned it. Have I been doing something wrong. Suggestions please if I have :shy:

I would say you have been lucky.

potsy

Rambler
Get yourself a quick link, this is what they are designed for :thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How many speed set-up do you have? I always used to split and rejoin 7/8 speed chains this way without any issue (Shimano ones) and didn't suffer broken chains as a result. There is a technique though, and get it wrong at your peril. Since going to 9 speed set-ups I have found the pins are so tight due to being heavily peened that they refuse to cleanly push back into the rear side plate.

Top Bottom