I keep snapping chains!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a had a couple snap on me over the years, they do not get a second chance as they do not have the ability to climb out of the bin.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If we were only talking about one chain, it could just be a defective chain. Nope - two chains.

If both chains were the same type and bought at the same time, it could be a defective batch. (I saw that with a box of 10 tubes that all split down the seam!). Nope - different types.

If they were different types of chain from a bad manufacturer, then all the chains from that manufacturer could be crap. Nope - SRAM is a good brand.

If the chains only broke once each, it could be just due to awful luck. Nope - multiple failures.

If all failures were on the same bike, then perhaps some very obscure problem with the bike could be to blame. Nope - different bikes.

Ah - sabotage! I deduce that there is a jack smith hater who is nobbling his chains whenever his back is turned ... :whistle::laugh:

If we were only talking about one chain, it could just be a defective chain. Nope - two chains.

If both chains were the same type and bought at the same time, it could be a defective batch. (I saw that with a box of 10 tubes that all split down the seam!). Nope - different types.

If they were different types of chain from a bad manufacturer, then all the chains from that manufacturer could be crap. Nope - SRAM is a good brand.

If the chains only broke once each, it could be just due to awful luck. Nope - multiple failures.

If all failures were on the same bike, then perhaps some very obscure problem with the bike could be to blame. Nope - different bikes.

Ah - sabotage! I deduce that there is a jack smith hater who is nobbling his chains whenever his back is turned ... :whistle::laugh:
I have to agree with every single point.

My feeling is that this was just another of those "how tough am I" threads. Another brand of this thread is the HOW DO I KEEP MY WATER BOTTLE FROM FREEZING WHEN I GO FOR MY DAILY 4 AM 100 MILE WINTER RIDE?

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Really... You obviosuly havent read all the posts i have made about thr pro's not having the issue and my power being nowhere near theirs ect... If you want to make personal comments saying im bragging take them elsewhere. Ive made it clear i am not

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
And with that im clicking the ignore button on this one, ive asked for the thread to be removed as some of the people commenting obviosuly arent getting the message or reading posts before commenting.

screenman

Legendary Member
And with that im clicking the ignore button on this one, ive asked for the thread to be removed as some of the people commenting obviosuly arent getting the message or reading posts before commenting.

Jack, have we not been here before with one of your topics, or am I getting you confused with another member.

Mr Celine

Discordian
A few weeks ago at dinner some mountain biking friends were bemoaning being left stranded by broken chains. I told them I'd never had a broken chain, ever. Next morning, going to get my Sunday paper, I got twenty metres up the road when the inevitable happened.

KMC 9 speed chain, the side plate on the quick link broke. This was during a particularly dodgy gear change. I usually leave bikes in a low gear because its uphill from my house but this time the back wheel had been refitted following a turbo session and the chain was still on the smallest sprocket.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had one chain crack a link, and that was on my MTB last winter, but I picked it up on a regular lube, but the chain had been battered. Never snapped a chain though.

If you snap a chain it's best to bin it as you never know what damage has been done to the other links or indeed what's been bent.

Top Bottom