I keep snapping chains!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
He does in the sprints though, as do riders like contador attacking during climbs they even use the big ring , its not as if im doing it constanly its a few times per ride as they do, the gcn interview with bertie lastweek he said he uses a hard gear when attacking up climbs in the 53 And mark cavendish uses 53 11 for sprinting in his interview

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
He does in the sprints though, as do riders like contador attacking during climbs they even use the big ring , its not as if im doing it constanly its a few times per ride as they do
Honestly - it is easy to see when you watch someone else doing it. I could see my mate was going to f*ck his bike by the way he pedalled, and he did!

The same guy did a local 25% climb with me on the big ring ... He talked exactly the way you do. I tried to get him to use a sensible gear but he was still thinking like a body builder rather than a cyclist!

bianchi1

Guru
Any chance you are 'powering' up hills in the big ring on the front, but using the granny sprocket on the back. This causes the chain to cross, and as it looks like you use your chain with up to 4 quick links in it, that can't be good.

Also, as you mentioned you were using a cheep, crappy chain tool...was it pushing the pins out straight, or was it putting stress on the remaining links?

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I havent used quick links at all apart from to get me home , i dont cross over gears either i always climb in the small ring unless its a short climb say less than 100 metres, the chain tool was really good when it worked its just the actual pin pusher that snapped it was only cheap/unbranded though but as mentioned above they never snap in the same place as it has been re joined

screenman

Legendary Member
Something is not aligned properly, rear hanger possibly. You do seem to have a problem controlling all this power you develop, have you thought about joining a club and seeking out the advice of a coach.

There's been some talk on the other thread about poor quality chains fitted as original equipment by manufacturers. If a chain has broken more than once I'd ditch it and fit a new one. Personally I'd recommend KMC, they are inexpensive and I've never had any problems with them.

None so deaf as those who don't want to listen. Mr OP sir, it was valuable advice the old git in the bike shop gave you. You need to develop some finesse. Cycling is not granite quarrying. You did not "snap" those chains, you broke them by separating the pins from the sideplates, a rookie error compounded by Tarzan tactics. Show us a photo of the broken links and let's stop this speculation.

Hydrogen Embrittlement 2.jpg

This is what a faulty chain looks like. You'll notice the same cracks on most of the links in exactly the same place. This chain wasn't broken by brute force but through hydrogen embrittlement, a manufacturing fault. I first noticed the problem when I did a poor shift and the chain split open. When I attempted to repair it, I noticed all the other links were cracked. It still got me home, all I had to do was ride carefully and ideally not shift too much.

Last edited:

bianchi1

Guru
Tool, but as said before they never break in the same place

Where do you get these replacement links from? Usually a broken sram chain is fixed with power links.

I've been forced to botch up a sram PC 1051 chain, by just shortening it and pushing the pin back (like on most chains back in the day) and it did not work. The chain had done around 6000 miles and was stretched about 2 cm!

Sounds too me like you are doing something wrong mechanically.

Broken chain.jpg

Broken chain 2.jpg

This is how a good chain fails through bad shifting technique, it separates. Note that it wasn't broken in tension i.e. broken by pedaling hard with a good chainline. Humans are just not strong enough to break a chain in this mode. Think Chris Hoy at a standing start.

Top Bottom