I keep snapping chains!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
There is no tool for clipping together a chain link, only one for opening it. The fact that the OP agreed with you casts further suspicion on the account of events that leads to broken chains.

My thoughts exactly. If he were using the correct links he wouldn't have to mark them as they are different than the original chain links.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Everything they said. Likelyhood is, as well, that if you're as powerful in that respect as you say you are, that switching to a more refined style will see those valuable KOM's of yours improve over time. Then again, Michael Johnson always ran wrong...never saw his shoes splitting seams though...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'm a bit of a fat chopper but don't break links!

They're failing because youre using a cr@ppy chain splitter and standard links.

Use quick links instead - and as pointed out upthread there's nothing wrong with SRAM chains.

Dude in the LBS sounds like a bit of a character :giggle:

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I don't see why people are saying the chain is snapping due to me replacing the links in a faulty way... They never snap in the same place, or the link next to it ect so that's totally out of the question, I've replaced loads of chains over the years and have never has an issue until I've used these two sram 1031 chains.

I'll also add it's not the pins coming out apart from one occasion which was Sunday, the actual metal links are cracking, the chain has never rusted or anything though so I'm clueless as to how it's happening

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is no tool for clipping together a chain link, only one for opening it. The fact that the OP agreed with you casts further suspicion on the account of events that leads to broken chains.
I think @bianchi1 was referring to using a standard link and a chain tool to insert a new link.
Some of us remember when there was no such thing as a 'powerlink' and all chains (other than SS, fixed or hub gear that used a 'splitlink') were joined in this manner. It does need a lot of 'technique' to do this successfully but it was an easily mastered skill once you were shown how to use a chain tool properly.

I think @bianchi1 was referring to using a standard link and a chain tool to insert a new link.
Some of us remember when there was no such thing as a 'powerlink' and all chains (other than SS, fixed or hub gear that used a 'splitlink') were joined in this manner. It does need a lot of 'technique' to do this successfully but it was an easily mastered skill once you were shown how to use a chain tool properly.
The OP is on 10-speed as far as I can work out, which means you cannot just insert a link since the pins cannot be re-used - the peens break off. The only options are a Shimano link pin or a master link aka magic link aka missing link.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Ahh well i held my tongue instead of telling him to f off ill never be going in again and nor will anyone from my club so its him at a loss ifmhe wants to talk to customers like sh*t

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The OP is on 10-speed as far as I can work out, which means you cannot just insert a link since the pins cannot be re-used - the peens break off. The only options are a Shimano link pin or a master link aka magic link aka missing link.
My only 10 speed chain is an SRAM 'hollowpin' model that is not 'peened' over at the end, mind you I've never snapped it (yet)

Top Bottom