I keep snapping chains!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had links left over from ahortening it when new i had far too many links on it

OK, you had links over and you used those to patch the chain. This is clear to me now. How did you fit those links by not using a Shimano link pin or a master link of sorts? On ten-speed you cannot re-fit a pin since it is damaged on its way out.

Worn vs new pin vs overworn pin.jpg

The pin on the left is a nice example of a brand new pin that was pushed out. At the top is the undamaged peen, at the bottom is the broken peen.

Peen on Chain Braker Pin.jpg

Here's a close-up of a chain breaker pin with the broken peens from three or four chain pins still attached to it.

A chain with a re-used pin may look OK but it will have no lateral strength at all. How did you mend your chain?[/QUOTE]

My only 10 speed chain is an SRAM 'hollowpin' model that is not 'peened' over at the end, mind you I've never snapped it (yet)
All chain pins are peened, even if it doesn't look like it. There is no other way for the pin to confine the plate otherwise.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Sorry but your question is irrelevant as THEY DO NOT BREAK IN THE SAME PLACE..... Sorry but I've drilled that enough so I'm going to ignore anymore saying it's cause you can't replace pins ect, I've done it for ages and know others who also have and have had no issues. I'm after other opinions on what it might be, although I'm pretty sure it's just a pair of dodgy chains

raleighnut

Legendary Member
All chain pins are peened, even if it doesn't look like it. There is no other way for the pin to confine the plate otherwise.
Pins are an interference fit in the side plates on all of the chains I worked on at Wide Range Bearings many years ago (and some of those were 3" sideplates)
Chains do not resist side loads very well which is why poor shifting is often the cause of them separating.

Sorry but your question is irrelevant as THEY DO NOT BREAK IN THE SAME PLACE..... Sorry but I've drilled that enough so I'm going to ignore anymore saying it's cause you can't replace pins ect, I've done it for ages and know others who also have and have had no issues. I'm after other opinions on what it might be, although I'm pretty sure it's just a pair of dodgy chains

Try joining the next one with powerlinks instead, and see if it makes a difference. I've always been told not to reuse old pins too. Whilst they aren't the ones that are breaking, maybe they are still having an effect?

bianchi1

Guru
It looks like there are two possible answers to why the chain keeps snapping.

The one the OP wants to hear is that it's his machine like legs are putting too much raw power through a puny standard chain made for mere mortals.

Or maybe...Poor and incompetent maintenance in direct contradiction to the manufactures guidelines, possibly coupled with poor pedalling style and gear choice has lead to repeated chain failure.

Take your pick!

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I know it's not my legs as many are able to put out a hell of a lot more than me but I don't understand why people are saying it's dodgy replaces links or lack of maintenance when I have told them what it defiantly isn't.

potsy

Rambler
@potsy knows about chains. He used to make them albeit i suspect on a slightly grander scale.
These puny bike chains are mere specks compared to the stuff I was making, that said the principles of not reusing old pins remains, once broken the rivet is gone which means the newly re-fitted pin will make a far weaker link than was there before.

Personally I'd try a KMC next and see how you go, and as Colin says maybe concentrate on a smoother pedalling technique, this could be why my twiddling granny gear climbing style has never left me with a broken chain ^_^

I know it's not my legs as many are able to put out a hell of a lot more than me but I don't understand why people are saying it's dodgy replaces links or lack of maintenance when I have told them what it defiantly isn't.
OK then, show us the pictures of the broken links. It is easy to diagnose the problem from there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry, Jack, but ... two different bikes, two different chains, one big rider/mechanic with 'aggressive' riding style - either you are the world's most unlikely man or you are doing something wrong!

I have ridden well over 50,000 miles over some very big hills in Yorkshire and Lancashire. I am 6' 1" tall and weighed up to 16 st 9 lbs during that time and cannot remember ever breaking a chain!

I hope that those on this thread proudly stating that they've never broken a chain are touching some timber as they write that. I'm under 10 and a half stone and have broken several in modern times, usually SRAM as it happens. At least one of those was down to cracks developing in the plates like the photie upthread, having fixed it and got home I discovered two more links cracked and about to go.

shadow master

I hope that those on this thread proudly stating that they've never broken a chain are touching some timber as they write that. I'm under 10 and a half stone and have broken several in modern times, usually SRAM as it happens. At least one of those was down to cracks developing in the plates like the photie upthread, having fixed it and got home I discovered two more links cracked and about to go.
Seen a number of cracked linked SRAM chains over the years.....I personally wouldn't use them,or anything SRAM come to that!

Top Bottom