I kept on falling off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
I spent almost as much time slithering and bouncing along the tarmac as I did riding it this last week. Three times I fell off.
First time was Monday on my way home from work
Going round a bend there was just enough time to say feck before I hit the ground. A helpful bloke took a picture of the bloody mess above my eye to show me and a woman took me to her house to help dress it and sellotape my glasses together. I cycled onto a&e and they glued my head back in place.
Meh, I must have taken the corner too fast. I've done it before about 60,000 miles back.
Coming home from work on Wednesday some three or four corners further on from the last one my tyres went again. Jesus Christ, there's something seriously wrong with my riding I thought. This time my head got away with it but my knee, elbow and shoulder took the brunt. I had scabs upon scabs.
So Thursday morning I'm taking it carefully as you can imagine. Nonetheless, bang! I've gone again. Holy Moly. Different corner but close to the other two incidents. All within 300m of each other.
As I'm brushing myself off and mourning the loss of more bar tape another cyclist comes around the corner and down they go as well. Well at least it's not just me I think. Turns out this guy had slipped off the previous day as well, just around the corner.
All this took place around the Bellenden (@Fnarr) Rd and streets off area of Peckham.
Clearly there's something going on with the road surface, speculation including construction vehicles leaking something??
Thursday evening I took a different route.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So, did you fall on Thursday also?
I fell off too a few days ago: slippy pavement due to roadworks slime stuff.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I spent almost as much time slithering and bouncing along the tarmac as I did riding it this last week. Three times I fell off.
First time was Monday on my way home from work
Going round a bend there was just enough time to say feck before I hit the ground. A helpful bloke took a picture of the bloody mess above my eye to show me and a woman took me to her house to help dress it and sellotape my glasses together. I cycled onto a&e and they glued my head back in place.
Meh, I must have taken the corner too fast. I've done it before about 60,000 miles back.
Coming home from work on Wednesday some three or four corners further on from the last one my tyres went again. Jesus Christ, there's something seriously wrong with my riding I thought. This time my head got away with it but my knee, elbow and shoulder took the brunt. I had scabs upon scabs.
So Thursday morning I'm taking it carefully as you can imagine. Nonetheless, bang! I've gone again. Holy Moly. Different corner but close to the other two incidents. All within 300m of each other.
As I'm brushing myself off and mourning the loss of more bar tape another cyclist comes around the corner and down they go as well. Well at least it's not just me I think. Turns out this guy had slipped off the previous day as well, just around the corner.
All this took place around the Bellenden (@Fnarr) Rd and streets off area of Peckham.
Clearly there's something going on with the road surface, speculation including construction vehicles leaking something??
Thursday evening I took a different route.
I would relay this tale to the councils highways department. The fact that multiple cyclists have had multiple falls in the area demonstrates a clear public health risk. Cars may also be having similar trouble keeping control and this needs investigating before someone is seriously hurt.

Slick

Guru
Spilled diesel is a nightmare, especially on a wet road. You can see anything like this though, looks like a rainbow in the road.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Spilled diesel is a nightmare, especially on a wet road. You can see anything like this though, looks like a rainbow in the road.
I've just reported using the online form and will follow with a phone call in the morning. I didn't notice rainbow patches any more than usual and by day three my eyes were peeled.

Slick

Guru
I think you would notice if it was anything like that. It's difficult to imagine it being anything else though. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think you'll get far with the report, as it will more than likely be washed away by now. Better safe than sorry for sure. Will be interesting to hear any feedback.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
I think you would notice if it was anything like that. It's difficult to imagine it being anything else though. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think you'll get far with the report, as it will more than likely be washed away by now. Better safe than sorry for sure. Will be interesting to hear any feedback.
I'll let you know.
I've just been reading through the last few days of a commuting thread on another forum and it looks as though there's been a lot of slipping and sliding going on in London, particularly in Southwark where my incidents occurred. Some speculation about anti-caking agents in the salt applied to the roads during the cold snap a week or so back or just that the roads are really filthy at the mo' and there hasn't been much rain to speak of.
Careful out there folks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dry stretch, lots of gritting (contains molasses to help it stick) combined with a bit of rain. Slippy as hell.

Washing the stuff off the bike/car is a mare also.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
It will probably be a diesel spill. Usual culprits are lorries with dodgy rubber fuel cap seals. When they go round corners, the fuel sloshes up inside the tank out the cap, to be deposited near the kerb (if it's a right hand bend) just where we cycle. I had a similar thing a couple of years ago on a mini roundabout. It was slippery for a few days until the rain washed it away.

Lonestar

Veteran
Blimey RedRider you are my hero...I thought I had it bad but I'm not sure I'd survive three spills.

Thanks for the warning regarding Southwark as I cycle round there also.Have you got a link to that.

I've slipped on Diesel before.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
I must admit I was feeling pretty bruised and battered by the end of that week and I'm still taking corners with it playing on my mind. As an update I did get a response from Southwark council but it was pretty standard 'thanks for your route were passed it on and a highway engineer will look into it.' I'll dig out a link later @Lonestar but the slipping reports where in whatever they call the commuter thread on lfgss.

Top Bottom