I love cycling in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pompey

One more to add...

6. Cycling past the queue of traffic because somebody has driven their car into the hedge (happened twice last night - glad I wasn't there a few minutes earlier though...)

U

User482

7. No problem finding a spare rack to lock my bike to at work. I think there's a direct correlation between ambient temperature and the number of bikes in the racks at my work.

Maz

Guru
Landslide said:
More air resistance, so we're back at square one...
bah.
Increase in air resistance due to increased air density is negligible and has been assumed to be zero.
How very dare you! ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
User482 said:
7. No problem finding a spare rack to lock my bike to at work. I think there's a direct correlation between ambient temperature and the number of bikes in the racks at my work.

Sadly that doesn't seem to happen at my place of work, their are all far too hard core.

But the riding is good, aways amuses me to see all people rapped up and looking miserable on days when I am wear shorts, cycle hard keep warm:tongue:

yenrod

Yes, I suppose it does actually Fly' - esp. over only 5mls !

But i can't as Ive a snapped spoke and I can only sort it via the shop as wheels 'crisped' on - one spoke breakage ;)

Flying_Monkey said:
Yes, I do! :tongue:

1. Crisp, clear mornings with the sun just coming up as you get into work;
2. The sound of bike tyres on frost;
3. The cold refreshing air on my face;
4. Relishing the extra challenges that cold, ice and snow bring to bike handling (makes the commute a lot more interesting).

neslon

I love cycling in winter
Yes, I do!

1. Crisp, clear mornings with the sun just coming up as you get into work;
2. The sound of bike tyres on frost;
3. The cold refreshing air on my face;
4. Relishing the extra challenges that cold, ice and snow bring to bike handling (makes the commute a lot more interesting).
endQuote
I agree entirely, Monkey. What has been weird for the last few days is the INCREASE in frost by the end of the day - it was tyre deep round the back of PeterRabbits by tonight.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Glad to see so many other folks enjoy winter riding! I don't care much for the 30 mph wind, either, though, but that's just one of the things you live with. I will swear by my studded tyres for the ice, though! Yes, they're a little slow and noisy, but allow me to ride to work when I otherwise couldn't.

Joe

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Joe, the weather in the UK isn't anything by your standards - our temperatures usually just dip below freezing for a few days here and there, but because the UK is generally a 'wet place' and very changeable (probably why Brits are obsessed by weather - it's rarely extreme, but changes a lot - so an eye on the forecast is needed), it gets pretty icy sometimes as the roads don't dry before the frost sets in. The UK winter is mostly wet and windy - would love the chance to use studded tyres though.

I've done whole winters on road bikes riding on dry cold roads with no problem, then had some bad spills on the same commute using an mtb on 'wet icy' roads...

mikeitup

Veteran
re

I like winter cycling too or I did til I hit a pothole on tues and ended up with a coupla snapped spokes.
Can't get my bike in at LBS til 28 Dec so will not be able to have a good ride with my xmas pressy (Ayup lights)

Ranger

I dislike winter due to the following reason:

Cycling down winding, rural part of commute and see a flashing light in the near distance.

"Right, I'll try and keep pace with them (no chance of catching them due to sig line). About 30 seconds later I'll think "Bloody hell, they're quick" Followed by the slow realisation that what I can see is car tail lights being broken by the intervening trees.

It would be forgivable if I didn't keep doing it!!!!! Someone told me it is called interval training and is allegedly good for you

Top Bottom